Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TINY1985

xp 64-bit edition

I have some problems that I hope you can help me with.

I recently installed the windows 64-bit edition on my computer and everything is good but I can´t hear any sound.

It seems that I have no drivers installed for a multimedia audio controller, and I can´t find any driver on the net. So if anyone could help me fix this or help me how to uninstall the 64-bit version of windows so I can return to the 32-bit version I would most thankful.

My system config.

CPU : AMD 64 3000+

MOBO : Asrock k8 upgrade 760-gx

There are some drivers on Asrock homeage but none of them seem to work with a 64-bit system.

you tried to install some of the drivers that came with windows?

some standard drivers?

one question..:

did you get any perfonrmance gain in games?

Best regards

Eirik S

Originally posted by TINY1985:

Quote:
I have some problems that I hope you can help me with.

I recently installed the windows 64-bit edition on my computer and everything is good but I can´t hear any sound.

It seems that I have no drivers installed for a multimedia audio controller, and I can´t find any driver on the net. So if anyone could help me fix this or help me how to uninstall the 64-bit version of windows so I can return to the 32-bit version I would most thankful.

My system config.

CPU : AMD 64 3000+

MOBO : Asrock k8 upgrade 760-gx

There are some drivers on Asrock homeage but none of them seem to work with a 64-bit system.

I looked at both the site for Asrock and Cmedia, who makes the AC97 Audio Codec. There doesn't seem to be any 64-bit device drivers for the audio function at this time.

Cmedia

ASrock

My only other suggestion is to find a cheap PCI sound card with a supported 64-bit driver package. I do believe that there are some Realtek AC97 codecs that are supported and have driver package d/l smile

What good use do i have of gaming when i have no sound??

So I haven´t tried any games on this machine.

Tried to install standrad driver that come with windows... didn´t work.

Does anyone have any ideas on how do downgrade to the 32-bit xp then ??????

Originally posted by TINY1985:

Quote:
What good use do i have of gaming when i have no sound??

So I haven´t tried any games on this machine.

Tried to install standrad driver that come with windows... didn´t work.

Does anyone have any ideas on how do downgrade to the 32-bit xp then ??????

To reinstall the 32-bit version of XP just requires that you insert your CD install media into your optical drive and when the option to boot from the CD appears, just press any key to get it started.

Now you will need to delete, recreate and reformat the partition once again to get the proper install without any left-overs from the 64-bit version wink

I wish it was that easy.

But when the menu of the xp 32-bit cd comes up the option that allows me to reboot can be klicked (similar to grey text and so on).

No I think you maybe mis-understanding what I'm trying to say here.

You reboot the machine and go into the system BIOS and make sure the boot order is set to boot from the CD/DVD drive before the HD. I use the following boot order myself.

CD/DVD or Optical

Removable or Floppy

HD or C:

Boot Other Devices - Enabled

Now after you've verified this, then insert your XP install media CD, it's a bootable disc, into your optical drive, if you have more then one, then best to place it into the optical drive set for MASter smile

Now save and exit the BIOS settings and the machine will reboot. There should be a line on the screen that appears after a few seconds that states, to boot from cd/dvd press any key. This is where the boot process starts!!!!

OK I did what you said ...

set the boot order to boot from my optical drive 1st but it still doesn´t... the computer still tries to read from the floppy drive ... then I disabled the floppy drive (just to try) didn´t work either.

The message that comes up after I´ve changed the boot order is the who you wrote in your last post but when I press a key nothing happens the message just coems back on the screen.

It didn´t either work.......... when I try to unpack the program I get an error message that says something in style with that windows is trying to run xxxxxx file. This is a valid file but is meant for older systems.

Any other ideas??