Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zer0Racer

That wonderful Pioneer 6X DVD SCSI !!

Yes it's wonderful isn't it?! RPC-pin = region free. It's fast. It's Pioneer. DVD Genie is great! Cyberlink PowerDVD 2.55 rules... BUT.. I get some errors. My system has "hickups".. everything pauses a few seconds when I launch a program or whatever.. disk activity. Here's the deal:

________

Hardware

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

• PII 333, 128MB, Voodoo3 3000 AGP

• Mostly 333@383 with SoftFSB (but have the same problem without OC)

• Tekram DC-390F (3.20)

• IBM DHCS-09Y 9.1GB UW SCSI-3 SCA w. adapter from 80-pin to 68 (ID 0)

• Pioneer DVD-303 6X SCSI (slot-in, firmware 1.10) (ID 4)

______

Config

¯¯¯¯¯¯

• Win2000 (2195 final btw) says my scsi-controller is a Symbios Logic 875XS|D, 2280X.. (well.. it works.. it's the driver I'm using)

• Tekram drivers won't work.

• SCSI BIOS all default settings except smaller changes for DVD such as disabling Wide Negotion and Tagged Queue (something) 'cause it does not support it. The IBM disk does.

• Tekram + IBM disk = High Speed! smile

• Tekram + IBM disk + DVD = hickups frown

________

Eventlog

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

*Error Event ID: 9

The device, \Device\Scsi\symc8xx1, did not respond within the timeout period.

*Warning Event ID: 51 (I get between 3 and 6 in a row.. sometimes more)

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.

I've tried changing a couple of settings in SCSI BIOS but it only makes the 'hickups' more frequent. I've terminated both devices and I have them connected at the end of each cable. There are no bad clusters allocated on the disk partitions. I checked 'Avg. Disk Read Queue Length' in Performance and it goes off the chart and the graph breaks and starts again after a few seconds. My DVD sounds like when you try to eject a disc and the drive is empty. A little clicking sound and the drive tries to search (for) the disc. Acts the same when I have a cd/dvd inserted.

Any ideas?! Give me some answers! I know there must be someone out there who can solve sh*t like this. wink

/Zer0Racer

Humm.. The problem must be your scsi controller. My Pioneer 6x SCSI DVD works fine under 2k, but then again, I got a Adaptec controller..

Mine works fine to. I got an adaptec scsi controller with my Pioneer 6x scsi dvd (and the dvd cost me 100 bucks, what a deal!)

=)

Just need TV OUT now, and I am set!

I actually does not own a SCSI DVD, but from the sound emission you mentioned, it seems the DVD drive is spinning up from a spin-down state. I have read though some uitlity program that can let you disable the spin down of DVD/CDROM drive, but I can remember where it is and if it is specifically for the Pioneer you have.

Tnx for your answers guys. That's what I suspected - has to be the controller, cause I think I got the same pauses while I did some stuff in DOS booted with Win98 boot diskette. And heard it's not always good to mix 50-pin and 68-pin devices on the same controller. But then again.. maybe Adaptec controllers can cope.

So.. tell me.. what Adaptec SCSI-controller is worth it's price? And money is not really an issue for me, like to buy stuff that cost wink

I'm thinking of a controller that support U2W at least cause (almost) all new disks are U2W anyway.. right? I'm interested in a 36GB U2W disk and want to build a high-end system.. but I'm not sure about what motherboard I should buy. A friend of mine had some problems with the Abit BE6-II frown Anyone tried the Asus something 2000 or maybe a SOYO? Want to use overclocked Coppermine 500E or 550E (err.. heard they are great for OC.. but wonder how good the 700+ are for OC).. Iwill SlocketII.. Samsung G8 RAM.. + more... Any suggestions?

/Zer0Racer