Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nemesis02

Resident Evil 3

I have windows XP (service pack 2)

I cant even enter the game!.. i double click the exe. and it goes to a black screen then goes back to my desktop!

Also Error report comes up! and if i go to details for what was wrong it says this:

AppName: residentevil3.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: residentevil3.exe

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00010b39

I dont know if that means anything but... its worth a try telling everyone!?.....

also does any one have a serial key for Resident evil 3?.. or a crack or something please!

thanks..

Quote:

From Capcom support page.

Q: Why doesn't Resident Evil 3 work with Windows XP?

A: While "Resident Evil 3" was developed before the release of Windows XP, we have been able to run it successfully on this operating system. There is a known issue between the program and some sound card drivers that causes the symptom you described. In order to remedy the situation, you will need to minimize the amount of DirectX acceleration for sound.
To do this, please follow these steps:
1. Close all running applications in Windows,
2. Click on the [start] button on your taskbar,
3. Click [Run] button.
4. Type "dxdiag" into the box, without quotes (this will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool application, which will run a diagnostic immediately and take several seconds to complete).
5. Click on the "Sound" tab,
6. Set the "Hardware Sound Acceleration Level" slider to "Basic Acceleration" or "No Acceleration" (try using the "Basic" setting first, and switch to "No Acceleration" if the game will still not run), and
7. Click on [Exit].

---
Quote:
also does any one have a serial key for Resident evil 3?.. or a crack or something please!

Illegal operation, not supported.

Well, try run it on compatiblity mode.

Quote:

Wow, i can't believe it but i was able to play this game on xp!

I had the same problems as they were posted: farewell to my life, farewell to my family... and then it stopped responding

BUT i tried installing it with windows 98/me compatible and to run it with 98/me compatible (you have that choice in the right click preferences-compatibility) and then i've found out that it doesn't recognize my sound card (creative sb extigy) so i unplugged it and used my default sound (yamaha) and there you go - it worked!!!

(and i even finished the game - just to make sure that it works all the way )

Or remove win Xp, partition your hard drive to two partitions, install win 98/me to 1. partition and then install win xp to 2. partition. And then install the game to win98/me partition.

Ok heres my problem. When i click on the re3 exe the screen goes black and i have ctrl delete only to find out the res 3 is not responding and i have tried that dxdiag sound thing and nothing happens and also i tried that compatibillity stuff and it still wont work so can someone shed some light on the matter.

Thanks

Have you tried this yet?

"I just made it so it ran in 256 colours!.. worked like a charm!"

Yea i tried all that stuff and nothing it just dose the same thing were the screen goes black and i have to ctrl alt delete out of it.

Any other sugestions. And thanks for ya help by the way.

Have you checked to make sure your video card is supported by the game?

It could also be ram related, do you have enough to support the game?

Do you only experience this problem when you try and play this game or does it do it to other apps?

Have you tried running the DirectX diagnostic program on your video card?

Have you checked CapCom to see if there is a patch out for this problem?

I'm running out of ideas to try. Hopefully one of the above will help fix the problem.

Good Luck

Yep i have 256ram geforce 4 ummmmm theres no patches at capcom exept that dxdiagnostic sound thing that i already tried. And this happens with old games on xp i think like it use to happen with duke nukem 3d but some dood made a win xp port for it. And i been looking around on google for a re3 xp patch or xp fix and stuff like that and found nothing so far.

Well keep me informed of any idears you might have. Thanks for ya help mate.