Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dapper Dan

USB optical mouse problems!!!

I've spent the better part of today in vain trying to get my mouse configured. It's a Logitech USB optical scroll mouse.

The weird thing is, just yesterday it was working perfectly! To retrace, I installed Slackware 10 Sunday and quickly had my mouse configured and working perfectly. Before I edited the xorg.conf file, the pertinent section looked like this:

Code:
  ********************************************************************** # Core Pointer's InputDevice section # **********************************************************************  Section "InputDevice"  # Identifier and driver      Identifier  "Mouse1"     Driver      "mouse"  # On platforms where PnP mouse detection is supported the following # protocol setting can be used when using a newer PnP mouse:  #    Option     "Protocol"      "Auto"  # The available mouse protocols types that you can set below are: #    Auto BusMouse GlidePoint GlidePointPS/2 IntelliMouse IMPS/2 #    Logitech Microsoft MMHitTab MMSeries Mouseman MouseManPlusPS/2 #    MouseSystems NetMousePS/2 NetScrollPS/2 OSMouse PS/2 SysMouse #    ThinkingMouse ThinkingMousePS/2 Xqueue     Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"  # The mouse device.  The device is normally set to /dev/mouse, # which is usually a symbolic link to the real device.      Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse" #   Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux" #   Option "Device"      "/dev/ttyS0" #   Option "Device"      "/dev/ttyS1"  # When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment # the following line.  #    Option "Protocol"  "Xqueue"  # Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In # almost every case these lines should be omitted.  #    Option "BaudRate"          "9600" #    Option "SampleRate"        "150" 

This gave me jerky mouse movement and no scroll. I edited xorg.conf thusly:

Code:
 ********************************************************************** # Core Pointer's InputDevice section # **********************************************************************  Section "InputDevice"  Identifier "Mouse1" Driver "mouse" Option "Buttons" "5" Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"  # Identifier and driver  #   Identifier  "Mouse1" #   Driver      "mouse"  # On platforms where PnP mouse detection is supported the following # protocol setting can be used when using a newer PnP mouse:  #    Option     "Protocol"      "Auto"  # The available mouse protocols types that you can set below are: #    Auto BusMouse GlidePoint GlidePointPS/2 IntelliMouse IMPS/2 #    Logitech Microsoft MMHitTab MMSeries Mouseman MouseManPlusPS/2 #    MouseSystems NetMousePS/2 NetScrollPS/2 OSMouse PS/2 SysMouse #    ThinkingMouse ThinkingMousePS/2 Xqueue #   Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"  # The mouse device.  The device is normally set to /dev/mouse, # which is usually a symbolic link to the real device.  #   Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse" #   Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux" #   Option "Device"      "/dev/ttyS0" #   Option "Device"      "/dev/ttyS1"  # When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment # the following line.  #    Option "Protocol"  "Xqueue"  # Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In # almost every case these lines should be omitted.  #    Option "BaudRate"          "9600" #    Option "SampleRate"        "150" 

..and the mouse worked perfectly with scroll and smoothly. I then decided to try Emerde, a package manager for Slack that, in theory, allows you to install packages from Gentoo Portage. As it turned out, Emerde quickly ate up the small / partition I'd created, so I then decided to do a re-install on larger partitions. All went successfully. The when I edited my xorg.conf file in exactly the same manner as above, the mouse is all over the place and won't scroll! If i run the courser diagonally up the screen from left to right, the courser disappears about three quarters across and re-appears in the bottom left. Right click doesn't work at all.

I just don't understand it. The first time I edited xorg.conf, the mouse worked perfectly. The second time, all hell breaks loose and I can't get it configured even having checked and re-checked and re-checked that I'd done everything just right!

What could be wrong? What am I missing here?? Could it be the module for the mouse is not getting loaded, and it's defaulting to a module that's giving me the problem? ANY thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated! Thanks.

For anyone interested in this problem, I found a solution after almost two days of banging my head against the wall. See this for the solution.