Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CubeBit

Adobe Photoshop hangs/lags

Adobe Photoshop 6.0 was working just fine until a week ago. What I am experiencing now is system-wide lag (hanging) when task switching to Photoshop after not using it for 15-20 minutes. The "lag" lasts for about 10 seconds before Windows eventually decides to hand control over to Photoshop. I've run AdAware, defragged all my partitions, run my anti-virus software, run some custom software I wrote, checked Event Viewer, and have come up completely empty-handed.

There are two things I can think of that would be causing this to happen since I don't install random software. It started occurring shortly after installing the latest set of Microsoft updates - which included that "Malicious Software Removal Tool" that is supposed to always be running as a NT service (That's really bizarre - I can't find it listed after a quick glance at the NT service list...). The only other application I recently installed was Half-Life 2, but Steam isn't running at all.

Suggestions would be appreciated. I can't submit logs for security reasons.

Some details about your PC hardware and OS would help...?

Up[censored] gfx card drivers can help.

Hi

Everyone must know that Photoshop is from Adobe and they have thier own font system called ATM (Adobe Type Manager) Fonts, which work excellent with all of thier softwares. But photoshop have some wierd behaviour with TTF fonts, I cant say its intentional or just a bug, but if you have more than 500 or 600 TTF fonts in your system, photoshop hangs whole system and you need to press HARDWARE RESET button on PC-Cabinet and cant do anything. Also even if you have fewer fonts on your system, but if any one font is corrupted it hangs in TEXT-TOOL dialogue box everytime the font is accessed. Font corruption is common problem in Desk Top Publishing.

Experts like us say:-

1. (Very Important) Use Genuine Legal copy of Photoshop wink and update from Adobe website.

2. Download and install freeware called FontExplorer Lite from http://www.moonsoftware.com/freeware.asp and remove fonts while checking which one looks bad/corrupted/unwanted. Keep maximum 400 or lesser good TTF fonts.

3. Also install A.T.Manager Free Lite Version always to let photoshop access it whenever it needs.

4. Recognize your Display Card and always install most latest Display Driver available from Manufacturer (not from Microsoft).

All this is applicable regardless of which operating system you are using or which Photoshop Version you may be using. I think this post will close this thread. Goodluck friends. smile