Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jontehgeek

Dual Boot WinXP and Win 2000 Server

I've got an OEM copy of WinXP (Dell reinstallation) and have previously installed a full version of Windows XP off said CD without any complaints from my component built PC. I needed to install 2000 server so I could make use of utilities like SQL server on the system itself. After putting nearly 24 hours into figuring out what was wrong with the installations and why XP would no longer boot, I went to the microsoft site for help and it advised installing 2000 first. Now, 2000 has been installed, all service packs installed and all applications I need for it, installed. It's running great. Going to install WinXP, i encountered a problem.

After booting from the CD-ROM drive, it takes 5 seconds to let me know it's checking my hardware configuration, then goes completely black.

Fustrated and tired after pouring 36+ Hours into just getting this poor beast to work, I'm asking for some help from the experts. Sys specs are as follows.

MoBo: Chaintech Zenith ZNF3-150 (NVidia chipset)

Processor: AMD 64 3400+ (Socket 754 2.4GHZ)

Memory: Geil 512 DDR SDRAM

HDD: SeaGate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus (200GB)

- (All 200 recognised thanks to SP4 for Windows 2k Server - Partitioned into 4 parts, All NTFS Format)

Video Card: Radeon ATI X800 Pro

(Sound & LAN onboard)

Already Installed:

Windows 2000 Professional Server (SP4) - (Partition C:)

Trying to Install:

Windows XP Professional Dell Reinstallation Disk.

(This disk comes complete with all aspects of WinXP minus certain drivers)

Okay so the way I understand it:

Windows XP loaded first

Then you installed 2000 Server.

Now when you installed 2000 Server it most likely replaced the NTDETECT/NTLDR on C:\ with the 2000 versions which XP will not like...which means XP will not boot.

So to fix that problem you simple copy NTDETECT/NTLDR off the XP CD to the root of C:\ and XP/2000 should now boot.

As for the second part of your post....

Are you saying that you booted off the XP CD, and that your computer froze?

Er..sorry. I wasnt so clear.

Here's simplified.

I installed XP first a long time ago, then tried to install 2000 onto another partition after first installing XP. XP wouldn't boot then, and I didn't know about the "operating systems in order" thing.

I did a fresh format of my HDD and made 4 partitions. I installed 2000 server onto C:. Now, I'm trying to install XP onto partition D: and after it boots from the cd and "Checks for my hardware configuration" it crashes. Installation does not even start.