Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cvc505

Public folder permissions in Echange server 2003

Please forgive my stupidity, I am switching from a Novell groupwise system to a Microsoft echange system and have run into a minor problem. When I try to create a public folder from my outlook client I get a message that says I do not have the correct permissions. I'll buy that but where do I change them and what should they be? I am the sys admin and have full permissions on the system although the usre I am logged into the exchange system as is just a general user so he does not have admin permissions.

Anybody have a suggestion?

Another thing to look into also, is that Exchange itself has permissions. There should be a place within exchange that allows you to create said folders.

http://www.m[censored]change.org/ <--- might point you in the right direction

I myself use to work, while in the navy, with Exchange at a rather large Joint Intelligence base. Unfortunately, when you don't work with something for 5 years, you tend to forget the details.

Wow. The answers in this thread are horribly wrong. Exchange PF permissions have absolutely NOTHING to do with NTFS permissions.

Okay lets start with the basics.

Exchange 2003 has an application that is available on the server you installed it called, "Exchange System Manager". It should be on the start menu under, "Programs", "Microsoft Exchange" and "System Manager".

Okay what you'll see now is a window with a number of folders in the left pane. Expand the "Administrative Groups" folder. (If you don't see that grouping, right-click on the top level item, hit properties and check the "Display administrative groups" option.

Once you expand AG you should get a list of your OUs in Active Directory. Expand that and you'll get a number of subfolders. Expand the "Servers" folder. Expand the folder for your server. Expand the item "First Storage Group".

Right click on the "Public Folder Store (SERVERNAME)" item and click Properties. In the Security tab you'll find the list of users and what permissions they have when it comes to accessing and creating content in the public folder heirarchy.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Exchange is quite a complicated beast. I'm still fairly new to Exchange 2003 and I would highly reccommend that you take a class on the app if you are supposed to be responsible for administering it.

Where in my post did I even say NTFS permissions with Exchange? I just said permissions. As in your post, you suggest checking permissions within exchange.

Also, if you note, I last used exchange 5 years ago. Did exchange 2003 exist 5 years ago? No. So, I'm only offering suggestions. Though, I was an exchange admin for 2 years (5 years ago).

Also, there is no need to take a class, if you can crack open a book and read up on it. I have taken a class for Exchange 5.5 way back when....didn't learn squat. But, luckily I didn't pay for it.

I wasn't reffering to your post. I was reffering to the post made by the resident expert on "nothing much at all" who goes by the handle AlecStaar or at least thats how it looks from what I've seen thus far.

This is all horribly amusing. Does AlecStaar treat all newcomers that embarass him by calling him out on his false information like this? Where are the moderators?

In response to this particular thread: Alec's post was 100% completely wrong. Instead of dealing with the subject at hand he just posts some completely unrelated set of steps that have nothing to do with the problem that the original poster was trying to solve. I called him out on it and posted a set of steps that the original poster could follow to solve his problem. Then Alec posts some random garbage from various other websites and alleges that I am part of some vast conspiracy designed only to soil his online reputation.

Who is the troll here? It is certainly not me.