Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pointmasteriam

Windows Xp crash

Every so often while I am browsing and working on the internet and sometimes not on-line, my laptop motor will wind up and start to run fast then all of a sudden the compyter jsut shuts off. Sometimes I will get the dreaded blue screen with computer jibberish and other times the whol laptop just shuts off completely. When this happens, it tends to shut off again 5 minutes or so later. I have run spy-bot and ad-ware stuff and get nothing. I have a Dell Inspiron 1550 fully loaded, however, I have no Macafee or Norton or anythign of that nature running. What can I do to prevent this---Ihave actually lost money playing [censored] because my machine has quit and I cannot get back in time.

What os is on this laptop? XP? What about service pack?

Also, goto control panel, run SYSTEM (or right click on my computer and go to properties).

Next, go to advanced tab, click the settings button within "Statup and Recover". Under system failure uncheck automatically restart.

Also, bring up your event viewer. Start, Run, type in ---> eventvwr, hit enter.

Take a note when the eventlog has started up. This signifies (normally) when a computer has restarted. Now, previous to the date/time, you may or may not see any red x's. What are they?

Also, the next time you get a BSOD please post the exact error.

Originally posted by pointmasteriam:

Quote:
Every so often while I am browsing and working on the internet and sometimes not on-line, my laptop motor will wind up and start to run fast then all of a sudden the compyter jsut shuts off.

Sounds like a temperature controlled fan to me that is spinning faster as temperatures rise.

Computer will shut off when the temperature sensors think the PC is getting too warm so as to protect CPU from burn out.

Check to see if vents are clogged with dust and if so then clean them with compressed air.