Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

How can I select a portion of the screen?

This seems like a bit of a dummy question to ask, but how can I 'marquee' a portion of any screen, in order to save it as an htm file? "Any screen" means either online or offline. In most offline situations, there are no menu bars from which you can select commands.

i didnt get all of you what you said so im gonna venture a guess. use print screen on your keyboard paste it in paint and then play it to keep just the portion of the image you want and save it. then create a html file with the image tag and stuff

Is there not a simpler way of doing it?

I'm aware that you can use Print Screen and then Paste the image into MS Word. That's pretty straightforward but suffers from two major weaknesses - you can only ever select the entire screen, and any text that was there becomes almost impossible to read in Word.

Babyboy, I'll experiment with your suggestion and report back here with what I find.

Well, Babyboy, I've had a try with Paint and I'm blowed if I can get what I need. The main problem seems to be that Paint handles only bitmap images.

PrintScreen requires that, in the first instance, you specifically Paste the whole screen into an application and I'm finding that I can't do that with the browser (be it Internet Explorer or Firefox), presumably because the browser would need to be offline and I can't seem to run either of my browsers offline at present.

Any more suggestions?

Babyboy,

It's done! I've persevered and finally found the method. Yes, using Paint.

The only restriction is that the saved file format is .bmp only, but that's no big deal.

Many thanks.