Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Napi21

Untitled thread

I had Norton Antivirus 2005 installed, but had to do a System recovery on my PC. I'm running Windows XP. After the system recovery, some of the programs I had installed didn't work properly and required a reinsatall. I messed up, and when I reinstalled Norton, I used the wrong disc. I used Norton Antivirus 2004! I thought I removed it, but when I try to install the 2005, I keep getting the message "Norton Antivirus installation failed." I check the Norton site and it says there are some remains of the old Norton still remaining, and that's the problem. I tried everything I know of to find any remaining files. I tried add and remove programs, and none were found. I did a search on Norton and Symantic, found a few files, and deleted them, and rebooted. When I tried to install 2005 again, I still get the same "Norton 2005 installation failed" message.

Can you help...PLEASE???

ok..

try going into your system manually and looking for any related files (some cannot be deleted thru remove programs and search). Also, make sure your security options do not still support Norton '04.

Also, it looks like you recently restored your system. If worst comes to worst, just re-restore it.

If the first suggestion doesn't work, lemme know

OK, how do Ifind all the files to manually look for any NAV files?

How do I check the security options to see if they support Norton 04?

I've gotten fairly decent with doing techie things but this is a new avenue for me. Sorry.

OK, how do Ifind all the files to manually look for any NAV files?

How do I check the security options to see if they support Norton 04?

I've gotten fairly decent with doing techie things but this is a new avenue for me. Sorry.

I've used Symantec's SymNRT utility before and I've seen it leave some NAV related registry entries behind. These entries can still prevent a new installation from working correctly.

Have a quick run through the registry (after SymNRT finishes) and remove all keys called 'Symantec' if they still exist.