Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arin

Page not found... (host file blocking)

I have set my host file to block a huge amount of ads. Only problem now is when I visit sites like webshots and deviantart their advertisements come up as action canceled or page not found. When I try to click back, it tries to reload the advertisements rather than clicking back one page. This means I have to click several times to get back to the previous page.

Can I make it not display anything? If I click back before it finds out that the page does not exist, it usually just goes right back w/o retrying.

Thanks

I don't think so as I do beleive this is intentional behavior by these sites in that they want to plaster the visitor with ads before using their site.

I see many of these kinds of sites and I must say, I personally just take a stance of never visiting said website any more and I delete their bookmark(s) from my browser.

I'm not saying you should do this, it's, just what I do wink

I wonder if the ads redirect can be redirected to some other address instead to speed things up a bit, how about adjusting the settings to the following instead:

0.0.0.0 xxx.adserver.xxx

Change the 127.0.0.1 to all zero's instead, you'll still get the error message but perhaps it will not take so long to occur.

Also, I would highly recommend using a third party web browser over IE.

I personally use Maxthon as it's free and has all the bells and whistles like tabbed browsing and such. This along with the custom hosts file are what I personally use smile

The problem is, I want the ads to load in error slower.

If I go to a page, sometimes the content will load before I get the error on the ad pages. If this occures, I can click the back button once, and be taken to the previous page. If the error page does come up for the ad, then I have to click back once for each ad.

If it were to try and load forever, I would not have this problem.

OK, I think I see what's happening however, I've not actually tried to do what you need to via the hosts file and it really does sound like that site is using a lot of redirected ad servers on their main page. Perhaps somebody with more knowledge on how to tweak the hosts file can help, APK, are you around ?!?