Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
monappen

Please help me...

Hi all,

I have an IBM thinkpad laptop. Some spyware got into my computer. I used ad-aware and ran a scan...deleted the files that was showing up with issues. After that I can't log on to the computer. The system boots and come to the sign on screen. If I sign on using any of the usernames and the correct password, it takes me to the desktop for a second and then says logging off...saving your personal settings...etc. I am not able to get on to the computer. I don't want to run system restore..I have lot of important data..I have already tried safe mode, last known good configuration, safe mode with command prompt etc. Nothing is working..Please help me with this issue...Thanks in advance...

mona

Using system restore or doing a repair install will not make you lose any data.

Unless you mean all you have is a restore disk and not a XP retail one.

Originally posted by monappen:

Quote:
Hi all,

I have an IBM thinkpad laptop. Some spyware got into my computer. I used ad-aware and ran a scan...deleted the files that was showing up with issues. After that I can't log on to the computer. The system boots and come to the sign on screen. If I sign on using any of the usernames and the correct password, it takes me to the desktop for a second and then says logging off...saving your personal settings...etc. I am not able to get on to the computer. I don't want to run system restore..I have lot of important data..I have already tried safe mode, last known good configuration, safe mode with command prompt etc. Nothing is working..Please help me with this issue...Thanks in advance...

mona

Like american zombie said, using system restore won't delete any files you've saved. It will get rid of drivers etc that are messing up your system, but word docs, saved files, they all stay.

If restoring doesn't help, do the repair deal, which is the SECOND time you see the option to repair Windoze when booting from the CD. Don't attempt to repair using the Repair Console, that's advanced stuff. The second time you see the option to repair, use that, it reinstalls XP, but doesn't lose any programs or saved files, it basically just repairs files that are missing or corrupted.

Yeah, it does take all the time associated with installing XP, but it will get your system back, and that info you want. smile

***EDIT***

Let me stress that any files you've saved AFTER your last restore point will still be there. Doesn't matter if it a wordpad doc, or something in office XP, it will still be there, even if you saved after your last restore point.