Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xnici

Mandriva 2005 LE has limitations?

I just switch from Redhat 9.0 to the Mandriva 2005 LE for a few days. And I found out there some software that work fine in Redhat 9.0 have problems in Mandriva 2005 limited Editon, such as Firefox1.07 thunderbird1.07, Adobe7.0 (reader) can not run in Mandriva. I can not figure out why.

Firefox even can not be install. I follow the instruction download the gz file from firefox web. unzip it, then run the installer, the install screen will pop up, but just after click the forward button to go to next step in the install process, the screen disappear immediatly and never come back.

Thunderbird don't need install in Linux, however, it never can run. There is no respond after I execute the Thunderbird.

Well, Adobe7.0 (reader) is a little better, I download the RPM package, and install it through command rpm -i Adobe...... It does install, however, when I try to run it through the command "./acroread " or double click a pdf, the adobe reader will pop a screen and show you the it is initializing, then it disappear just after the initilize, and never come back.

That's really strange! Does anyone have any idea what's going on with Mandriva 2005 LE?

Did you check to make sure that the required libraries are installed for Firefox 1.07?

Remember, Mandriva LE is just what it says, Limited Edition. You most likely don't have all the required packages installed to install from source packages.

Also, is there a reason that you are not using Firefox from the Mandriva database through the software installer? See this link as well for further information.

I have installed and run all three of these programs without any problems, with Mandriva 2005. There must be some other problem, here, probably related to the initial install, or as Danleff says, due to missing libraries. In fact, Acroread and Firefox are in the Madriva 2005 package and should be installed directly from there.

As a precaution, I always remove the old Firefox version, before installing a newer version. Doing so, you do not lose your bookmarks or settings. Rather than installing Firefox from the Firefox website, I would suggest getting the RPM from RPM Search. In that way, the new version will install automatically, without any hassle at all. You can find it at RPM search at the link below:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/2/simple/2

Just select your Mandriva version and search for Firefox. Make sure you select the proper Firefox version for your Mandriva version. You can find RPM's for many applications from RPM Search.

Likewise, with Mandriva, I would install all the extra packages, not included with the Mandriva disks from PLF. Very easy to do. Enter the requested information and PLF will provide you with text to copy and paste into a terminal. Make sure you "su" in the terminal before you paste the text. Then, hit Enter and all the extra packages will install. You will get many packages Mandriva cannot include with the disks. You can get the Easy URPMI here:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Also, if this is a new install of Mandriva, make sure you have performed all the Mandriva updates. There will be many of them.

Hope this helps,

zenarcher

Thanks, danleff and zenarcher.

The control center of my Mandriva is disappear, so I reinstall the Mandriva again, then it comes back. Following the http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ instruction, I successfully run the mandriva update finally smile (it's a little different from the instruction, in Mandriva 2005 LE)

After that I run the Mandriva update,the firefox problem has solved. But thunderbird still can not run. this time it gives me a error:

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (out): 0x08e47b98 ***.

It reminds me an error that every time when I use the find command to search from the "/" directory, it alway show me a error:

WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc: this may be a bug in your filesystem driver. Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option. Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.

someone told me that is bug in the kernal of Mandriva.

The adobe problme is still too. Actually, after I reinstal Mandriva, I the Acrobat Reader Icon did show up in Menu-->office-->pulishing. However, when I click the icon, it is just like before, the adobe reader 7.0 will pop up for a few second then disappear. I check the software management, there is no any package of Adobe. This's really strange.

So I download the adobe 7.0 rpm from their web agian and install it. But problem is same as before. (pop up a window, then disappear). Also, I can not view any pdf file inside the firefox. If I download pdf files and double click it, an application which is called PDF file viewer will show up instead of Adobe Reader.:( ;(