Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rnakai

Untitled thread

I have a Win XP machine (version 2002, service pack 2) w/ Internet Explorer 6 (service pack 2). I had Norton Antivirus 2004 loaded.

Everything was fine. Then, I loaded Norton Internet Security 2005 (without removing Norton Antivirus 2004) and during the installation got a warning message indicating a conflict with some html file. The recommendation was to uninstall some security patch, load Norton IS, then resinstall the security patch (I think). I never wrote this down, but continued with the installation, which succeeded. It's this procedure and filename that I'm seeking.

When I get pop-up windows, the computer locks up and requires a reboot. I used XP's uninstall feature to uninstall Norton IS and then reinstalled it hoping to get the conflict message again, so that I could remedy the problem. But, the conflict message never reappears.

Does anyone know of the particular conflict between XP and Norton Internet Security leading to pop-ups locking my computer, and what to do about this?

Or, does anyone know how to deep uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005 so that a reinstall will give me the warning message again?

Thanks so much for your help.

Richard

I take it you've already tried restoring XP to just before you updated? You do set restore points before up[censored], don't you? smile