Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gef4000 mx

geforce mx 4000 by NVIDIA

ok im trying to install a new video card called the geforce mx 4000 by NVIDIA, i unistalled the old video card a radeon 7000, and then i put in the geforce mx 4000 well, when ever i did this how many times i tried my computer ( Systemax tiger windows xp intel pentium 4 ) would restart as soon as i logged on my user name. Is there something im doing wrong or bypassing, or do i need to get a different card for the my computer. Oh yeah and the reason im getting a new card is so i can get on the new everquest games which requires pixel shade support 4 and various other things along with the basics please if you are so kind to help me.

First off, before you removed "physically" your ATI card, you should have uninstalled it. Too late for that now, such is life.

Boot up in "safe mode", then go to "add/remove prgrams" in the control panel, remove your ATI/catalyst drivers. Reboot in safe mode again, don't allow XP to install your vidcard drivers, choose no.

Install your nVidia drivers from your CD that came with the card.

Reboot normally, and all should be well..... except....... that card, the MX4000, is not really an upgrade, it's an obsolete vidcard. Don't expect bonus DX9 performance from it, because it's not there, the card is good enough for old DoS games, and that's about it.

You can tell whomever told you that a MX4000 was an upgrade, that I think he's an idiot. There are so many better options in the same price range, I just can't believe that! ;(

ok thank you, well all i really need is anything with pixel shader support so i think it should be good but whatever

Originally posted by gef4000 mx:

Quote:
ok thank you, well all i really need is anything with pixel shader support so i think it should be good but whatever

I got myself into the same situation, I "upgraded" from a 3DFX Voodoo 3000 to a FX5200. My Voodoo was faster, but didn't have DX9 support. The 5200 was a joke, it had DX9 support, but it was a dog. I dumped it for a ti4200, which smokes it. No DX9 support, but then again, I don't miss it.

Sometimes, upgrades just don't work out, happens to all of us. wink