Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
davecropp

graphics problem

If I try to play avi files I get lots of lines and large green blocks breaking up the screen. If I play dvd's the sound is really bad. Pictures in Photoshop are all full of lines and some web graphics are pixellated. I've updated my drivers (nvidia geoforce 5200) and no better.

Any thoughts or is my graphic card kaput?

I am never surprised at what graphics cards can do, and your FX5200 may have seen its last, but those things are build like tanks and I have seen very few fail.

Anyway, explain how you updated your drivers and what drivers you used. What it sounds like is that the old drivers were not completely removed before you installed the new drivers, and, this is very important with nVidia drivers, did you turn off your Anti-virus software before installing them?

You should also look at the settings for your monitor. (Right click anywhere on your desktop that is blank, when the menu comes up click on Properties, then click on the Settings tab, then click on the Advanced button, then click on the Monitor tab. You want to check that it says Plug and Play on nVidia 5200. It may be that your monitor had drivers installed for it so that it would read NEC or Samsung. Sometimes these drivers mess up both Windows and nVidia drivers.

Finally, if you have any kind of funky screen savers, get rid of them. These things do change settings in Windows that can play havoc with both your display and your sound.