Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WildTurkey101

Interesting digital media pro issue

Ok, I installed a ms digital media pro keyboard a few weeks ago due to a wife and wine incident. I was connected to a usb port and worked fine for about 3-4 weeks. I installed another 512mb by removing 2x256 and adding 1GB 2x512mb, of memory today and now the keyboard dies when windows starts to load, but works in the bios, and it only happens when it is on a usb port. If I have the ps2 adapter and use the ps2 port it works fine. Any ideas for this one? I am at a complete loss. Everything else is working as it should, computer is stable and the memory is working fine. I have seen some strange things before but this one is right up there. If you would like any more info specs are below...

Dell dim 8300

p4 2.6 w/ht intel chipset...forget which one the 825p? I forget..

1.5 GB ram running in dual channel (1GB 2x512 pny(new) and 512mb 2x256 centon ram, neither of wich I have ever had any problems with.(untill today)

bfg 6800gt oc

Creative X-fi xtreme music

1 maxtor 60gb, 1 wd 80gb hdd

digital media pro keyboard

generic dvd-rom

sony dru-720a dual layer dvd-r burner

Any help would be appreciated.

First off my hat is off to you for even attempting installing anything on a Dell. They are very touchy machines.

As to USB ports (tirade begins) they were invented by PC mechanics to insure they would have a steady flow of business after they sold you the monster making sure that you would come back early and often. USB ports are slow, quirky, and ill-behaved (best stop this tirade). If your keyboard works with the PS/2 leave it there. That piece of memory for PS/2 is always reserved for it no matter what, and you never know where, in the scheme of things, it will be placed it in the hardware allocation layer when you stick it in USB.

Anyway, right click on My Computer-Properties-Hardware tab-Device Manager button and see if there are any conflicts. You probably won't see any, but my guess is that your new memory is probably given an address that the USB keyboard wants.

Dell does install a special set of analytical tools on their machines. I can't remember if it is F2 when it boots up or F12. You can run their tests and if there is some anomalie it sometimes finds it.

By the way, one of the tricks I learned from a guy who runs a computer shop in relation to USB - power down the computer, then unplug it from the wall for about an hour. When you power it up, magically USB has life. Doesn't always work.

I would just use the adapter and run the keyboard that way. As for the memory a Dell tech told me awhile back that you had to have the same amount of memory in each slot to run the system properly.