Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
angreal

Dual Boot 2kPro XP Pro, delete/reinst 2k, xp dead

Two Physical Drives, A and B, both IDE 120 GB. Both NTFS. Both 100% partition, (C and D).

Primary drive was 2k Install, contained Boot.ini. Secondary drive was XP Pro install.

2k had a problem and needed to be reinstalled, so I backed up the boot.ini and reinstalled 2k. (restored from ghost). 2k works as expected, never has had a problem, just encountered a virus (IE's fault).

Anyway after restoring the boot.ini, and rebooting, the boot menu was restored, 2k and xp pro, just how i had it.

HOwever, when I select XP Pro to boot, it tries to boot 2000 and comes up with an error missing files etc.

This makes no sense to me, as the boot ini still says booth from the SECOND DRIVE.. i dont know why its even SEEING 2000. 2000 is on the primary drive, not at all on the secondary. Xp is not at all on the primary, only on the secondary.

in the boot ini 2k is on drive 0 and xp is on drive 1.

So searching around on experts exchange, I found a forum post with the exact same problem, only the solution requires you to sign up and pay a $10/MONTH fee to see the answer. Usually you can google the topic and find the rest of the post without paying anyway, however in this case the name of the post was slightly generic and i did actually find it, but it seems to be a derelict post and obviously im not a member or i would already have my answer.

I'm hoping somebody here knows the answer to this riddle, and/or is a member of experts-exchange and can find this out for me. Please and thank you.

angreal19@hotmail.com if you have the answer, feel free to email me.

You need XP's Boot.ini, Ntldr and ntdetect.com files on the boot drive to boot Windows XP. Booting off the XP CD and run Recovery console you can run Fixboot or Fixmbr to repair it.

Also run bootcfg /rebuild command from XP's recovery console, which will rebuild the boot.ini.

When prompted for load identifier, give Windows name.

When prompted for os load options, enter: "/fastdetect", without quotes.