Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

Norton Ghost and USB settings for ext storage

Can anybody explain to me the precise circumstances under which Norton Ghost should be configured to load USB drivers, prior to a partition imaging exercise?

I've recently introduced a USB-connected external hard drive into my system and yesterday imaged my root partition to another, reserved one, on the same drive. I did this, starting from the Windows environment. I had no problem with this but afterward I wondered whether I'd set all of Ghost's options correctly, especially with regard to USB usage.

In Ghost's Options, there are settings for USB external storage, whereby Ghost will load USB drivers, either 1.1 or 2.0. I was in two minds as to whether to select one of these but, because I performed the imaging within the main drive of my PC on this occasion and the external drive remained powered off, I chose 'No USB drivers' instead.

Did I do the right thing or, if it became necessary to do a restore, would it fail?

The important factor here is that I did the imaging with the external drive powered off, so although the PC has its USB driver assigned to that device, it presumably reckoned that the device was effectively not connected at the time of the imaging.

Operating system: Win2K SP4

Ghost version: 2003