Compatible Support Forums
hadibubu

BIOS screen is stuck for 5 min. b4 it starts up

hey guys I need help here real badly

I am lost, right as I rebot my computer it shows me that black screen that tells me that I have an ATHLON ..... and a yellow star on the left hand side corner of my screen and it tells me to choose from F9 to enter the BIOS F12 to enter boot menue or Del. which I don't remember what it tells me lol but if I press any of those buttons nuthing happens and around 5 minutes later it boots jus fine and sometimes enters the Boot menue or whatever I press (sorry if I'm a bit confusing) anywais after that it sais I need to install Express Recovery 2 from gigabite CD GRR!!!!! what sould I do pls pls pls help me

A Gigabyte motherboard, correct? According to the Gigabyte support web page;

Quote:
Q. Trying to press F9 key to run Xpress Recovery while BIOS POST, but still can't work. How can I get the utility working?

A. The Xpress Recovery utility has been included into MB driver CD. You can use the driver CD to boot up system. Then you will find the related option to execute Xpress Recover under boot up menu later.

Thanks so very much for the help and time I did what u said and it helpped and didn't

the actuall express recovery 2 started loading but then it told me that IDE drive not available or premary drive is currently occupied but I had booted off of the CD-ROM and I have a hard drive so do u have any suggestions?

also it stated error: 500

Look at your users manual that explains the xpress recovery utility.

Is the drive that you have an IDE drive or SATA drive? From the looks of the documentation, it only works on IDE drives, and it must be the primary master IDE drive that the data is on.

You may also have a failing hard drive. Try to get into the standard bios and see if the drive is recognized there.

BYW, what model Gigabyte motherboard is this?

thanks 4 your time, I have an SATA drive and got this computer for christmas just 4 weeks ago the drive is fine and works great

About the motherboard, I'm not quite sure because the pictures I found on the internet do not match the name but its a

K8 Triton series

GA-K8NF-9 (rev. 2.0)

nForce4 (-4x) Chipset

and it has 3 pci slots with 2 purple ram slots and 2 orange ones with no built in video card and the thin that throws me off is that the heatsink is diagonal not flat like the fan on top of the CPU hope I'm making sence here lol

Again you are being the bigest help ever thanks for your time

With each post comes some useful information.

Just to note, your version of xpress recovery supports sata drives, according to the motherboard manual.

Quote:
and it has 3 pci slots with 2 purple ram slots and 2 orange ones with no built in video card and the thin that throws me off is that the heatsink is diagonal not flat like the fan on top of the CPU hope I'm making sence here lol

The Gigabyte website states on the picture for the board, that it is for representative purposes only and may not match your board exactly.

Was this system purchased from a vendor, or built by someone?

What do you mean that the heatsink is diagonal? Is it not resting directly on top of the processor? If not, most likely a clip has popped off the the processor socket. This could explain the boot issue.

Do you get any bios beeps on boot? How many, and short, long, or a combination of both? This can help narrow down the possible problem.

If this is a system that was purchased from a vendor and has a warranty, take it back to be repaired.

If someone built it for you, consult with them and have them look at the motherboard and processor to see if this is the issue, noted above.

how do you paste on this fourum or screen copy and put it on here so I can show you what I mean by the heat sink, and there are no beeps and I built it by myself and the heat sink is the yellow motherboard thing thtat I'm talking aobut not eh CPU fan lol so no its not unplugged or clip is unatached lol

I just fixed a computer that took 5 minutes to boot to the splash screen. All I did was clean out the dust and most important remove and put back in the ram memory sticks.

Ram memory either not seated properly, mismatched sticks or bad memory cause this problem the most often and should be the first thing checked.

The computer was given to someone because of the above problem - the giver thought he knew how to fix computers - he wasn't aware of that problem and the easy fix.

Improperly seated cards are the next easy things to check. Sometimes you have to change slots.

Hope this helps.

thanks a lot pezo I'll try this its driving me nuts taking me 10 minutes to boot up my sstem when it should only take 2-3 lol