Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vista_user98

lag.......

hey there! i just got the computer about 3 weeks ago and as soon as i got the computer i have been having some lag issues in games. there is a lag spot every 30 to 40 secs, i am using a linksys wireless router 54Mb and i have it in my room. i have tred to disable mcafee, windows firewall but nothing is working. if you need anymore information just do what you know to do!

thanks!

I do believe that WAP has a wired port or two correct ?!?

If so, try disabling the computers wireless connection and the wireless part of the router and try it again.

LAG can be caused by many different things including both local and internet traffic/issues.

Also, does this lag occur when playing a non-Online game ?!?

If so, what game/games and what are the exact system specs of this new machine, i.e., cpu, ram, hdd, motherboard etc...

the lag occurs in everygame i play and i cant tell if it is when im just in a game or if it happens when im out of the game. what does WAP mean? processor: AMD Athelon 64 X2 Dual Core Proccessor 5000+ Memory: 2.87GB

If lag is happening even when playing a game offline, then the problem isn't with your LAN connection; it's with your machine's ability to handle the games you are playing.

If this lag only happens when you are playing games via the Internet, then there are several things that could cause this:

1) If your wireless connection is not protected, someone else is probably using your wireless link to connect, which is hogging up your bandwidth.

2) If you are having this problem when wired to the router, then it could be that you have bad wiring in your space (I had this problem at my last place).

3) much much more.

Expanding on my points before,

2) The wiring in my last place was actually not the problem. It turned out that my Comcast cable modem was a piece of junk. As soon as they gave me a new one, everything went along just fine.

3) Your video graphics settings in the game could be set too high, which causes your machine to jump around a bit while it tries to display everything. Try reducing the in-game quality.

4) Sometimes, there are a lot of unneccesary services running which can bog down your machine while playing games. I've made batch files which turned all the unneeded services off before starting a memory intensive game. After the game was done, I ran another batch file which turned those services back on.

Creating a batch file is actually wicked simple. In notepad, type: net stop "service name". For instance, to turn off the print spooler service, type

net stop "print spooler"

Save the file with the extension .bat to your desktop and there ya go: a batch file. To turn the service back on, use start instead of stop.

These were just some extra things that I thought of after re-reading my post

Originally Posted By: vista_user98
the lag occurs in everygame i play and i cant tell if it is when im just in a game or if it happens when im out of the game. what does WAP mean? processor: AMD Athelon 64 X2 Dual Core Proccessor 5000+ Memory: 2.87GB

WAP = Wireless Access Point, basically if you have a Wireless router/gateway box then you have a WAP.

I can't say I really like wireless, mostly a personal issue, and to this end when somebody is trying to game and has a WAP device I inform them to disable the wireless function and connect an ethernet cable to one of the free wired ports and see what happens wink