Compatible Support Forums
malmern

Monkey Island 4 on Windows Xp x64 edition

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a hold of a 64 bit installer for MI:4?

The original installer won't work since it's partially 16 bit (Or so I've been told) and 16 bit won't work in 64 bit what so ever!

MI:1,2 and 3 works fine, since they can be run with SCUMM, but you can't run MI:4 on SCUMM since it's not a DOS game.

Best Regards

Marius Malmstrom

For games with 16bit installers I usually just install the game on a 32bit OS and then copy the files over.

In some cases you'll have to backup registry entries and copy them over too.

I don't think I've tried MI4 in Vista 64bit. I'll check my list.

In some cases you can use installshield extractors like Uniextract to extract the files but in alot of cases it doesn't maintain the directory structure and of course it can't give you the registry entries that the game uses, so Uniextract is only usefull for game demos instead of full games in alot of cases.

hi,

I'm trying to play monkey island 4 on windows XP but can get no sound!

how can i fix this?

compatability mode does not work, nor does dosbox.

Well, I tried installing MI:4 on my laptop that runs 32 bit xp, and I copied the registry, but I get an error message when I try to start it saying that I have to reinstall the game frown

Something must be missing. I'll see if I can look into the issue tonight or tomorrow.

You may want to ask over on the ScummVM forums (No it doesn't run in Scummvm!) or the other LucasArts fan forums like this one: http://www.worldofmi.com/forums/index.php

Don't expect a huge number of replies though since not alot of people using 64bit Windows play tons of older games. wink

hi there,

I'm having the same problem, but i'm using Vista 64 Ultimate.

Malmern, have you have any luck getting it to work yet?

I haven't tried copying the files from 32bit OS yet, might give that a try.

hi again.....

heres a link which as updated installers to work with all windows including 64bit laugh.

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software#emisetup

I've tried it and it works perfectly in Vista 64 Ultimate. It also has installers for curse of monkey island and grim fandango!.

I got this link from a user over at the lucas forums.

Enjoy!.