Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marcus1

I'm so glad I found this MB! I need help with vortex2 in Win

Guys, I love the the win2k operating system for it's good memory and quite better stability than win9x. I was unfortunetly left no choice but to go back to old win98se ALL because my vortex2 wouldnt work under win2k, and those sucky beta's they posted only worked after the initial install, but after a restart the sound would just crap out again. Please help me, I have a win2k copy right on my desk and I'm hurt by only being able to look at it and nothing else, because of a sound card problem. I've email aureal support many times (losing my temper many times), until they just stopped to respond totally, lol. So, since It's been a while that I gave up, I'm now hoping there's a fix out so that I could finally install win2k again. Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks guys.

sell that vortex 2 and go back to windows 2000, get an sb live!

I finaly did that, cause the vortex 2 no mater how hard you try will always sux in win2k

------------------

Athalon 500

196mb Ram

3D prophet ddr-dvi geforce

SB Live! sound card.

biostar m7mka mobo

20 gig maxtor and 3.5 gig fireball

32x tosheba, and adaptec scsi mitsuia cdr 2x4x

ms internet keyboard pro

ms intellimouse explorer

640k DSL on wintell modem with linksys dsl router

100mbit dlink nic w/wol

Thanks Arin! I've come to the same conclusion. Nice overall game support. I'm going to get the SBlive X-GAMER.

Thank you.

marcus... signing offff!

SBLive! Sux! Why do u buy this card? U have a better card that WORKS under Win2K. Mine (the vortex2 superquad) works perfectly under win2k even after restarting. The only thing that sux is that u can only got the EAX into Win9X. So maybe u think that this card sux under Win2K because there isn't the EAX sound. U r false! The EAX w/ a SbLive! doesn't WORK under Win2K yet... Like the Vortex2. We have just to wait for new Vortex2 drivers. I read that Aureal & Creative are working hard to get new drivers for Win2K. My conclusion is to keep ur Vortex2 because SB Live! sux.

Well, no doubt you have a point. If theres also no EAX on the SBLIVE, then it seems totally pointless, as there wouldn't be ANY 3D hardware acceleration! Thanks to you as well. Although it seems I've tried everything, I'm going to try to make those betas work somehow or, I guess potentialy waiting for some form of a driver release from Aureal again.

EAX some what work's

But good new is all miss stuff will be fix Liveware3 which will be coming in May.

The sad news is there is NO more Aureal R.I.P

aureal is gone but A3D is hear to stay. (thats a pun, hear that.) creative or someone is gonna take over and release win2k drivers for vortex cards. At the moment DX sound is supported in hardware. Which means the vortex2 supports 96 hardware streams in win2k but no A3D or EAX. I wouldnt get a Sblive if you already have a vortex2. Aureal is still working on the win2k drivers.

CycloneFr,

I would LOVE to know how you managed to get your Vortex 2 card to work in Win2k. I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing works. I get sound in Windows (while I'm at the desktop) but, as soon as I start a game or even the damned Vortex2 demos, the sound just stops. It NEVER comes back. What are you doing differently that I must be overlooking? My MX300 card is the only thing keeping me from going Win2K exclusively.

-Shadoe

Firstly, I think that the Vortex2 is a much better sound with much more processing power...I have long been a Creative supporter, but unless you are just looking for good qality windows sound, i don't think the creative cards make the cut.

As for the vortex2 driver installtion in win2k:

1)The drivers windows comes with offer wave sound and I think even ds3d (I checked with the Aureal Minerva program, and it showed DS3D available).

2)As for the aureal beta drivers, they offer A3D 3.0, DS3D, equalizer and SPDI/F support. To install them, I found a readme file that explained how to install (you must change a filename, delete some inf files and dll files, and then install it, but it works fully), the driver is fuly functional and quake 3 works fine. If you need this file i can email it, just send me an email, although i got this file at ~a3dfan's site, whatever the address is cool

so if ya got a prob drop me an email at

killerbob@geocities.com

good luck

------------------

If it doesn't work, PLUG IT IN!

all i have to say is that eax sux compared to a3d but then again, i could never get a3d to work in win2k with my monster mx300.... but i got an sb live and it works great and sound great! and best of all, i dident uninstall my a3d drivers and i can use a3d in quake 3 on my sb live! and when liveware 3 comes out this month, it will be really good. vortex is for 98 and sb is for 2000. and besides aureal is out of business...

------------------

Athalon 500

196mb Ram

3D prophet ddr-dvi geforce

SB Live! sound card.

biostar m7mka mobo

20 gig maxtor and 3.5 gig fireball

32x tosheba, and adaptec scsi mitsuia cdr 2x4x

ms internet keyboard pro

ms intellimouse explorer

640k DSL on wintell modem with linksys dsl router

100mbit dlink nic w/wol

I'm with the vortex2 cards. I have a Montego2, and in win98 with the latest drivers and software the sound was ok but never grabbed me.

When I installed win2k the card wasn't recognized, but a friend was over and found an Aureal 8830 driver somewhere. It was from some beta site. Anyways, after installing the driver the sound was improved drastically. The next time I played UT I heard things I didn't know were in the game, and positional was front and back perfect.

Not only gaming sound was improved, but all sound including mp3 and cd audio.

My friend has the Sblive Platinum and he has sound trouble all the time.

My personal experience and plenty of reviews indicate that the aureal codecs and processing power are still the best in the industry.

Try the reference 8830 drivers at this url: http://www.vortexofsound.com/drivers/drv_v2wdm.htm

Hopefully they will work for you.