Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pyroxy

Win2k + SCSI + Drives only visible in safe mode / WTH?

I have an OEM Adaptec AIC-7855 SCSI card (AHA-2930) in a DFI K6BV3+2 MB / AMD K6-2-400 / 384MB RAM and the card is on an IRQ all by itself. I have a Plextor CDR, a Seagate Hawk 4.3GB, a 1GB Jaz and a Panasonic CR-508 CDROM on the card. They all work fine in NT4 and Win98 as well as in safe mode under Win2k.

I can only see the drives hanging on this card when booted in safe mode, when booted normally the card appears fine, but no drives appear. I have used both the stock drivers in Win2k as well as the new drivers from Adaptec.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the card multiple times, as well as tried it in all PCI slots on my MB.

What is the difference in how Win2k handles SCSI in safe mode and booted normal?

Any insight or suggestions here? This is puzzling as heck, I would think I could see the drives when booted normally instead of when booted safe mode. This seems backwards. I think this is some sort of a Win2k bug as I obviously have the SCSI set up right or else there would be other problems.

TIA

------------------

Pyroxy

Is it time for another tea party?

http://ns2.misproductions.com:8000/listen.pls

Use Winamp or the latest Real Player

[This message has been edited by Pyroxy (edited 04 May 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Pyroxy (edited 04 May 2000).]

This may sound dumb, but it seems like you have another card that could be using the same IRQ. If I were to test it, I would take out all unnecessary cards (sound, NIC-assuming that you can logon locally, etc) and see if the drives come up. When testing, try to use the video card and NIC with the adapter first, that way you don't get locked out of the network if you need drivers or anything (assuming that you have a NIC and network :)).

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Man, from the devices u got, only the CDR seems to be SCSI. The Seagate 4.3 Gb i'm not sure they make a SCSI version...well, if they're all SCSI, then my bad smile

Anyways, try this: leave a cdrom in your CDR and reboot (warm or cold, doesn't matter). After logon, it will say "establishing network connections", then u should hear your CDR spin up...after that, you should be able to see your drive and access the cd...

I know it sounds idiotic, but that's how i "fixed" the SCSI problem i had (sounds same as yours). Keep us updated...

By the way, reboot normally (with the cd in the drive), not in safe mode...