Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RazoRBladE1st

Win2k, Processor runnning at half power??

I installed win2k and noticed it wasn't as fast as I thought it would be,, and now I finally found the cause of this problem,, when I look at my System specifications I see my processor speed is 250mhz,

and that ain't right!, it's 500!!

how is this possible??

first I thought it was just a little windows bug,

but in win2k my processor is only running at 250mhz, I noticed when I installed SiSoft Sandra and I saw the difference in win98 and win2k, in win98 my processor scores are almost twice the number it is in win2k.

What do I do about this??

help....

I have had a problem with this in windows 2000 in my case it was related to ACPI installs, if installed as a Standard PC then the processor would display correctly, the processor did work at full speed but with some programs the timing would be lost and things like the fading menus would fade faster. I think this most probably is a bug with windows 2000 i dont know what kind of processor you have but so far it seems only to affect AMD K6-2 although maybe others too.

I would really like a solution for this too, been looking for a while though and havent found anything, sorry couldnt help more

that menu thing and fading is a bug, i have the same problem, some types of error messages dont display for long enough to read, and sometimes it messes up the highlighting when u click a form on mine.

BUMP

Does this mean my CPU will only have the performance of a 250?

Also, if I put it into standard PC mode, will it run properly? Or am I gonna have to go back to Windows9x?!

Reverting back to Standard PC will fix this problem.

Try flashing your motherboard bios first and see of that fixes your problem.

Went back to Standard PC and all is well smile

Thanks a lot.

I love the way you can actually do stuff like this on NT reliably. now to fix all the other problems on my network.

I myself have the classic nv4_disp.dll error, and all the IPs on my network keep randomly changing, even though I tell it not to...ARGH!