Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gambler FEX online

I just quick-formatted the wrong HD!

Any way to recover it? It was a fat32 partition and quick-formattet to a NTFS partition.

It happened in the console during win2k installation. I was on d:\ and typed "dir" O.K. It was the partition/HD I wanted formatted, so I typed "format /q d:" and it did it. Then I typed "dir" again, and all the files where there!

I got the awful feeling something was wrong and typed "e:" and then "dir" and message appeared "File not found!" Incredible, I pressed the up-arrow button to check that I _really_ typed d:, and I had. Delicious, how could it format the wrong letter?!

Any program that can revert this quick format? norton? partition magic? etc?

Thanks!

*sigh*

QueTek's File Scavenger version 1.40 can restore from NTFS FAT16/32 easily, quickly and reliably. It even works in Win2k. I was able to restore data from a 1gb drive after it lost its FAT and format following a reboot. :P

Goodluck,

But if you formated that drive then it's history. NO MAS DATA!

Bummer, sorry dude.

quick format just deletes the file allocation table, theres usually at least 4 copies of this (i think) just find some sort of app to recover this. For now unplug the drive so it doesn't back up the blank fat over the ones with the actual directories and files!

I recovered that before but can't remember the app, is a demo i think. another way is to corrupt the first fat table, and scan disk will use a backup to repair it.

Good luck (you'll need it) smile

Yep - I think there are utilities to recover this sort of damage. It may have formatted the werong drive because you entered format /q d: when you should type format d: /q. The best way to format drives to use Disk Administrator (under computer management in control panel) then you can be sure which drive you're formatting.

Anyway - Good Luck

Felix, I tested File Scavanger but it did not find any files. Also it says it won't recover any fat volumes only NTFS volumes, but I have a fat32 quickformatted to a NTFS.

Is there a version that can recover fat32 HDs?

Yeah sorry, my bad.

I got FS confused with some others i've used. I remember that it only recovers NTFS. Sorry to get your hopes up.

<gives self an uppercut> wink

------------------

Written on:

PII 300

160mb RAM

i740 8mb

20gb Seagate

6gb WDCaviar

Using 100% Australian Made recyclable electrons

[This message has been edited by felix (edited 28 May 2000).]

[This message has been edited by felix (edited 28 May 2000).]