Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lawson23

Memory Errors Win2000

Application errors saying

The instruction at "0x007a91f6" referenced memory at 0x00000069. The memory could not be read.

click ok to terminate

click cancel to debug

I thought it was my memory and sent in for replacement 256MB chip. I currently popped in a 64MB chip and havn't gotten the error as often but did get the error one time. Is this actually memory errors or is it something else?

Please help!

Hi !

I had this problem with CAS2 setting in BIOS, my RAM-chips couldn't handle it.

Switched to CAS3 and everything worked fine.

(With no notible performenceloss)

// Toby

This is a software bug, not faulty memory. If your memory is broken, the computer hard-locks. I get this error on certain programs too, but my games (quake3 and dungeon keeper2) which requiers lots of memory i/o run stable and have never crashed once.

If you check the message more carefully, you will find the _read_ word has ".

It’s nothing to so with memory chips or electrical signals, all it is, is the NT memory management dividing up certain areas of memory for each program, service and process. The program you are running is trying to "Read" memory in an area it is not allowed to. You get the same but with Write errors.

Basically it’s the Operating System protecting itself from bad apps and malicious program/user, thus security and stability is retained. Try to close some programs/services, if it happens inconsistently. If it happens with the one program, doing the same thing, then perhaps there is something running that is creating this error via that app.