Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FakeMcCoy

OpenGL trouble with Banshee on Win2k Pro

I recently switched to a Diamond Monster Fusion, and installed 3dfx's Beta drivers, for lack of ANY support whatsoever from Diamond/S3. Direct3D seems to work semi-ok, but OpenGL has been a headache trying to use. When I try to use GL with Half-Life, it locks up at one of three points. First, right after the "Loading..." sign; second, during the "Starting Network..." message; and third, right when the console is supposed to disappear when you enter the game.

It did work ONCE, but it never worked any other time. I've tried four differend MiniGL drivers, and none of them seem to work right. I can run D3D mode, but it has that lagged input problem that even the gl_d3dflip command doesn't get rid of.

Has anyone been able to get their Banshee to do OpenGl right on 2k? Maybe I need the right MiniGL, but 3dfx doesn't have them on their site anymore.

I have a Voodoo Banshee and I have had no problems (short of 3dfx's lackluster driver release schedule). I have an OEM board, straight from 3dfx and am using the lastest 3dfx reference beta drivers from their page. I play Half-Life often and have had no problems whatsover, I run in 800x600 using the 3dfx mini-driver provided by Valve, WickedGL, and the MiniGL from 3dfx (which is newer than the one with HL) (btw the MiniGL is still there, on the Banshee driver page)

Make sure you are using all 3dfx driver files. Did you install any of the non-3dfx drivers that were out for a while? You might want to check that they are all overwritten, or even do a clean install of win2k (!)

Also try SP1 and see if it does anything.

FYI I have played Half-Life (Counter-strike), quake 3, Jedi Knight, Descent 3, Tiberian Sun, Unreal, Unreal Tourney, Mechwarrior 3, Homeworld, X-Wing Alliance, and Starfleet Command all in win2k with no problems.

Well, I went back, and used the "latest" MiniGL I had laying around, and found I could only get it to work right if it's set to 1024x768. This still sucks, though, as it's just not quite fast enough to keep up with what's going on.