Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SuperG

celemine 600's on abit bp6

I am building a new computer and

am looking for some advice. I am getting an abit bp6 and 2 celemine 600's.

I know that the abit board does not support fcpga due to the voltage problems.

SOOOO I am getting the neo-s370 www.powerleap.com . I also have been doing some

research and have found that not all fcpga are smp compatible. Is there any way

of being conclusive of the stepping on the Celerons as to which are smp compatible?

As much as I'd love to just get an msi board, and two p3's, I'm a 3d animation

student and cannot afford that. Any input on problems or good things I will

have with this situation would be greatly greatly immensely appreciated. THanks!

-Kris

------------------

System Specs: Kicks the crap out of yours.

tyan makes a dual p3 board w/o scsi and rings in under $200...2 p3 700's around $200 a piece...550 coppermines probably even cheaper...i think www.atacom.com is a site that will say whether the chip you are buying is cbo stepping or not...if you get 2 that are, then i "think" you should be all right...

Celermines are completely out of the question if you're trying to SMP two of them.

Coppermines are Not SMPable on a BP6 *unless* you do a modification on the BP6 AND the Powerleap NEO adaptors(details availbale at www.bp6.com).

The best way to SMP coppermines is by using another board(tyan was one suggestion). BP6 is a great board but pretty much dead now. The best use of a bp6 is SMP 2 celeron1's or SMPing one coppermine(NOT celermine) and one celeron1. I believe this combination is possible with the NEO adapter without any modifications to boards.

To Summerize, SMP Celermines is a no go. Don't use a BP6, either go cheap and old(dual celeron 550 on a BP6) or go new and expensive (dual coppermine ??? on an MSI or Tyan dual board)

Hope this helps

Damn, what do you guys suggest? I need the best system i can get for doing 3d animation for 500 bucks all I need is mobo and processor(s) I have everything else. Right now I have an athlon 650that runs ok at 750 on the abit ka7. Its not good enough...

-Kris

well if you already have a athlon 650, that's a pretty good system right there... If you want to SMP anything, you've got to SMP coppermines since anything else wouldn't be as fast as your athlon. You could wait for dual athlon boards to come out.. smile

You could pick up a duron600+asusa7v and hopefully overclock that to 900MHz.. that'll probably be faster than your athlon 650... but I'm not sure about 3d-rendering since your athlon has so much more cache than the duron...

Best bet would be to save your money and blow it on a dual athlon when it's available...

mr_yellow

mr_yellow, are you saying you could use say a P3700e and an old C366 (@550) together on a BP6? I'd love to hear about somebody doing that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W:
mr_yellow, are you saying you could use say a P3700e and an old C366 (@550) together on a BP6? I'd love to hear about somebody doing that.

Yes! I *believe* it is possible. When the NEO adapter was first being beta tested, paul@powerleap was able to dual a coppermine and a celeron1. You'll have to go to www.bp6.com for more info as I don't keep up with bp6 happenings anymore. I'm not sure if any new compatibiltiy problems have cropped up or whether people have successfully done this SMP setup.. All i know is that it has been "tested" and "worked".

Again. read up on it. I would hate to think someone would even consider my word as final..

mr_yellow

I would have to say that the BP6 (while a rockin mobo) does not support powerful enough CPU's for what you are wanting to do. I have dual celeron 500's@600Mhz which is nice, but not anywhere near good enough for 3D graphics that an Athlon 650 can't take.

I would have to suggest either a dual PIII board (which would be hard to get and stay in your price range of $500) or maybe getting something like the Abit BX133 and a PIII 700E coppermine that could overclock to 931~1Ghz.........

Just my thoughts.