Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adrianhall

Get hard-disks into stand-by

I've got 2 x DM+40's connected to a Promise U66 (not mod-ed) under a Win2K Pro system.

All I need to know is how do I get the HDD's to power down after a certain amount of time? Works fine under W98 but they constantly spin under W2K.

Go to the POWER OPTIONS in your control panel, it's under the first tab, called "Turn Off Hard Disks" with a pulldown menu for different timesettings.

If I remember right (I'm at work now so can't check) that's the same as going into the screensaver settings from the desktop and clicking on power savings.

If it is, I've done that - have them set to power down after an hour but they just carry right on.

I'll check when I get home to see if it's the same or not.

yea i get this too. despite having power down settings to 3 mins in both bios and win2k power control panel, the drives on my UDMA cards both will not spin down. either from my onboard HPT366 (crap) or my promise ulta66 card, they wont sleep. but when connected to teh onboard normal ide chain, they sleep fine. Anyone got any ideas? i havnt tried any of it under anything but win2k, i dont know if they work in win9x