Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

FAT 32 to FAT 16

I know this has to have been covered, but for the life of me, I cannot find it.

I want to format an 850 mb partition from the FAT32 it's set at, to FAT16, that way I may install WinNT4, either server or Workstation.

There's one added bonus--I have no floppy drive to work with.

Any ideas?

------------------

OBSIDIAN2 (Win2k System)

---Custom Built---

PIII Coppermine(FCPGA 370) 800eb w/133FSB (with ThermalTake Golden Orb heatsink)

Asus CUSL2 mobo(no onboard sound) BIOS rev 1002.005 Beta

384(393 listed)MB PC100 SDRAM (2x128 PNY& 1x128 Mistsubishi(Compaq))

A-Top 901 Case & 300W Athlon Approved Power Supply

30GB MAXTOR Diamand Max UDMA/66 7200 RPM hdd and IBM15-7 15GB UDMA/100 7200RPM hdd

3 Internal 80mm fans(along with Power Supply, CPU, and GeForce fans)

CL SB Live! X-Gamer on Liveware 3

CL GB Annhilator Pro GeForce DDR on Detonator 6.18

Windows 2000 Advanced Server (SP1)

Logitech Itouch Pro

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer(Gen 1)

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Soundman G1 Speakers

D-Link DFE-530TX+ Ethernet Adapter

Compaq V720 17" Monitor

Memorex 4x2x24 CD-RW

Compaq(Pioneer) 6x DVD

INFERNO (Win9x(ME), BeOS5-and eventually other OS-System)

---Compaq Presario 5600i---

PIII 500(498 listed) (Pre CuMine)

Compaq 32(32 listed)MB PNY PC100 RAM

IBM DJNA 371350 UDMA/33 7200RPM Hdd

ATI Xpert 98 video card

Sonic Impact S90

Logitech Quickcam Home(listed as WEB)

Hauppauge! WinTV GO

Intel Onboard and ATI AT-2000 ISA Ethernet cards

Windows ME Build 3000 OEM Final?

BeOS 5 Personal Edition

Maybe Mandrake 7.1

PC Concepts AT-to-Ps2 Keyboard

Logitech First/Pilot Wheel Mouse

Everglide LAP(promo)

Sony Walkman Speakers

Packard Bell 14" monitor

BTC 20x CD-ROM

Selling!

Perfect condition--replaced with intel system

AMD Athlon 750(model 2) retail (Slot A)

Asus K7V Mobo BIOS revision 1007 for $250.

3 weeks old

2 options:

1: non-destructive, Partition Magic 5

2: Destructive, fdisk (selecting "no" to large disk support)

HTH

CL

Or you could boot from the NT4 CD and during the install tell it to delete the Fat32 partition. Then tell it to install in that space you just opened up. Then tell it to format using FAT.

If you have Win2k installed on FAT32, and you don't want to delete the partition by diong a clean NT4 install on FAT16.....then the only way is to install win98 along side 2k on that same FAT32 partition and use partition magic in Win98 to convert it back to FAT16. Then you can delete the Windows folder and edit your boot.ini to remove Win98. I still don't know how NT4 will install after Win2k is already there though. I tried it on NTFS even with hacked ntldr from SP6 and still couldn't get it. You might be able to do it since you are using FAT16.

NT4 Below Service Pack 4 doesn't support NTFS5. If you are using Windows 2000 it will automatically upgrade any NTFS 4 partition to NTFS 5.

My windows 2000 computer is all NTFS.

I'm wantingit on the other computer, which currently has Win98 on it...and is all FAT32.

When I boot off floppy, it asks for startup disks to be made, and I can't, because I have no floppy drive on it.

If it were me, I would take the HD out of the target machine (the 850MB drive), and put it in my Win2K machine, then format it to FAT16. But, if I were to install NT on that drive anyway, I would just boot off the CD and delete/format the partition as suggested by Ge0ph earlier.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

ok, I get the feeling more details are needed.

the 850mb is a partition of the 13.5 gb hdd.

Win98 is already installed...

and when I boot off of the NT cds, it asks me to create startup disks...which is impossible because that computer has no floppy installed in it(f*cking compaq whored drive doesn't use standard controllers--wiring is different).

If I don't build startup disks, I cannot continue.

So, as a person without PArtition magic, I need another way to do this.

fdsk it and don't format it, nt4 will see it as unformatted space and will let you install to it, i think

Is there any good reason why your system doesn't have a floppy drive? Getting one installed/fixed would make doing things like this a piece of cake. A Windows 98 startup disk would be all you would need to do this.

yeah.

Compaq ****ing sucks ass.

They don't use standard floppy drives; the pin omitted is different than that of a standard floppy drive.

Add in the fact that the case is molded...and normal floppies no longer work.

This is just one more nail in their coffin. Damn, I hate them

You are kinda ****ed I guess. If you wanna boot NT the YOU HAVE to have 1st (boot partition) as Fat12 or Fat16 or NTFS4. Otherwise you are ****ed.

When you boot of CD you don't need to create any floppys... I did that many times... just install the NT adn then format the partion as NTFS or FAT16. BUT NT will quit on u if ya C drive ain't fat12/16/ntfs4

To convert ya 850 partition just format it under Win98 as Fat16 or Fdisk it (it is in windows\command folder.

One more time:

1. Install Partition magic on Win98

2. Convert to FAT16

3. Insert NT4 CD and go to the i386 directory in a DOS prompt (ie d:\i386) and type winnt32 /b

Now you will have NT4 and win98 installed with a dual boot on a FAT 16 partition and you won't need a floppy. I've only done it about 100 times. It's up to you whether or not you want to later remove 98 but I can tell you it only takes 10 seconds to remove 98 at this point.

Just in case you try this and winnt32 /b doesn't work, try winnt /b. I forget if Win98 prefers the 16 or 32 bit exe in it's DOS prompt.