Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
strider

What does W2K SP1 break? (Problem w/ watching DVDs)

Okay, something is fishy and I am wondering if it's the SP that I installed. I'm not too sure but I've been having some trouble trying to get DVD movies to work w/o a problem. Is anyone else experiencing problems with viewing DVD movies with SP1 installed (an added factor of a Hollywood Plus is also a possibility)? Or maybe it's just me?

I didn't view the entire list of changes SP1 makes to Win2000. But what I'd like to know, if it has any relations to the problem I might be having, is if SP1 breaks any functionality or softwares?

From my past experience, I've used PowerDVD and my Hollywood Plus to watch DVD movies. But that was all prior to installing SP1. Is it my imagination or am I getting the same problem some other people may be facing?

------------------

-- Strider Hiryu

for hollywood+, you should use their DVD Station software. That's what I use, and it works flawlessly...

I don't have any problems viewing movies with my Dxr3+DVD drive+SP1.

Neither did I before SP1.

However, before SP1, MP7, and the Creative Dxr3 beta, all I used was the Sigma Hollywood Beta drivers plus the Creative Win98/WinNT4 hacks.

Now, I use the Creatieve Beta+the Registry Hack, and have no problems with watching movies on my PC. And that's with SP1 installed.

Now, I never did try to tell if SP1 was the trouble...DVD movies worked just as well afterwards as they did before.

Obviously, YMMV.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

Quote:
Originally posted by CUViper:
for hollywood+, you should use their DVD Station software. That's what I use, and it works flawlessly...

The DVD Station software works, even w/ SP1 installed. The problem I am facing is that somewhere in the middle of the movie, it stops playing. I can still control the software but the DVD playback freezes. I've never had this kind of problem before. And I can't exactly trace where the problem may lie in.

------------------
-- Strider Hiryu

Ahha - the problem is probably with the drive and the IDE then. Try changing your UDMA settings on the drive. If UDMA is on then shut it off, if it's off then turn it on. You can also try moving it around the drive chains. I have mine alone on the secondary as slave. Also if you have a writer then you should have it all alone on your secondary and have your DVD drive as a slave on your primary chain. IDE cd writers don't seem to get along well with many drives, especially other cd roms.

JediBaron,

Well I've read all about that part being one of the problems. However, I don't have a IDE setup for optical drives. My DVD, CD-ROM, and CD-R drives are all SCSI-based. The only thing IDE that's on my system is the HD itself.

------------------

-- Strider Hiryu

Sweet smile the only SCSI device I'm using is my CD-R. Never even seen a SCSI DVD - rock on.

Th only other thing I can think of is perhaps you power management. In the old days of Win98 (very old days now) sometimes the power management caused my Dxr3 to kick out like an hour or so into the movie. It for some reason thought that it could power down the card while I was using it - hehe. I had to just move the mouse and stuff around to wake the hd and stuff up every 30 mins or so and it didn't do it anymore.

It may have been the switch to Win2k or my motherboard switch, but after that it never happened again and I've had the decoder in 3 seperate systems since.

PS - I've been assuming that you did the obvious and have reinstalled both your Dxr3 drivers (or the Hollywood drivers if you prefer - I also used the beta ones until I got tired of it and created that registry patch for the Creative) and your Video cards drivers after SP1. On one of my installs SP1 broke some strange things like Half-Life's frame rate and stuff. After reinstalling Win2k on that same machine though, everything worked flawlessly. Even after installing SP1. It was weird, and the only drivers that were different on the reinstall was that this time I never even installed the Hollywood beta drivers. Before I had removed them when I figured out the registry fix. I had tried to remove them manually out of the registry and the files, but some part of it still hung on because my auto-align for the decoder's window wouldn't work. I had to adjust it manually. That worked perfect after the reinstall though.

Sorry for the long post smile

Operating System: Windows 2000 Pro sp1 (running fully PNP w/ ACPI)

Processor: AMD K7 T-Bird 800 w/ 256 Megs PC133

Motherboard: Asus K7a (1004c BIOS) w/ the newest Via 4 in 1, Promise 100 drivers b25

Hard Drive: Maxtor 1536H2 on the Promise 100

Video: Asus 6600 SGRAM w/ Asus sba bios (AGP Geforce 256,32meg - Nvidia drivers v6.31 - certified)

Sound: SB 128 PCI (1373 chip w/ 5.12.01.4035 WDM drivers - certified)

Modem: USR 56K PCI

Network: NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (PCI 10/100 card)

SCSI: PCI Advansys SCSI Host Adapter

CD Burner: Smart&Friendly 4x SCSI

Printer: Epson Stylus 740 (USB)

Scanner: UMAX Astra 1220U (USB)

Misc: Creative PC-DVD 5X drive, USB Intellimouse Optical w/ intellipoint 3.2 (ver. 3.20.0.484), Gravis Xterminator gamepad with 4.2.0.2 driver

DirectX: 8.0 RC0 (4.08.00.0183)

[This message has been edited by JediBaron (edited 17 October 2000).]

Well the odd part is that initially everything works. Watched Matrix and my Dragon Ball Z DVDs with it. I'm using the Hollywood Plus in case you wonder. Playback was not a problem until somewhere along the way it got broken, which I have no clue as to what exactly did break the DVD playback.

The problem lies in trying to forward to a specific point of the movie or playing up to a certain point of a DVD movie. For both of these situations, the DVD would not continue playback. Eventually it'll restart back, or begin playback at the start of the disc. It didn't seem to be the DVD software's problem. But I find it strange to see that I can't play DVD movies normally now.

My assumption is that it is SP1. But I wanted to make sure if it is that or not. But a side note to mention is that upon a reboot, leaving a DVD movie/disc in the DVD drive during the boot process would result in a STOP error, causing me to hit the reset button and reboot the computer _again_. A bootlog indicates that it gave me a STOP error just after loading the udfs.sys driver. Leaving the DVD drive empty solves that little problem. However, I am still concerned as to the main problem of normal playback of DVDs.

------------------

-- Strider Hiryu

SP1 does update the UDFS.SYS. (I just checked the SP1 update and it's in there. Haven't checked version info.). Try the udfs.sys from the Windows 2000 CD. Expand it into the dllcache and system32 folders.

Blah. No go. I did just that and no change in the situation. I am still getting unexpected "freeze" in DVD playback. I also did a reboot just in case and still nothing. I'm really starting to wonder what's going on.

I did a very quick check with SigmaDesigns's news server and checked with their newsgroups. It would appear that there are other people who are experiencing the same problem. However, I did not see any possible solutions to the problem.

I am going to attempt to fire off a note over to their tech support department to see if they have any theories behind this. It's really a mystery to me and I don't know if it is a software I installed or just something screwy with Win2000.

------------------

-- Strider Hiryu

ok i think i know the problem - it also exists when u read certain DVD's - it is fixabe but its a bit dodgy to fix smile

u have to go into the registry and edit out the lines that load the udfs service - exactly, WOW, but surprising ly everything still works like normal - cd's dvd's that did work before and DVD-ROMs.

anyway here is the snippet from the sigma designs page that describes it:

If you are are trying to view certain DVD movies such as "The World Is Not Enough" and receive a "file not found" or MMSYSTEM 275 error, please do the following (as proposed by a user and tested by us): Run regedit and rename the entries - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Udfs and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Udfs by changing "Udfs" to any name like "Abc" and reboot. When you change control set 001, it automatically changes control set 002. When you are done with the movie, rename "Abc" back to "Udfs".

try it - im sure it will work cos it solved my problem where i couldnt get into some data on a dvdrom!

Aragorn

Already tried that, Aragorn. Any kind of obvious possible solutions, I have already tried. The registry setting did nothing to help with normal playback because this isn't related to the MM275 error that Sigma Designs' drivers and applications are notorious for.

------------------

-- Strider Hiryu

ok mate - it was just a thaught - as i said it fixed a problem i had with reading certain areas of a normal PC DVDROM

Aragorn