Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Warl0ck

Is my Pentuim III too hot ??

I have a copermine 800 MHz (6*133) and when it's used 100%..playing games for instance.. it has about 72°C. I wonder how hot the average p3 gets because 72°C seems to be incredible hot to me because my AMD-K6 never had more than 40°C.

My CPU is not overclocked at all. I would like to but don't dare to due to the temperature.

What do you have for a heatsink? Generic heatsinks are just what they say... Generic.

There are tons of good heatsinks out there. I bought a golden orb, and applied some thermal paste on there, and it stays very cool.

If you do not have thermal paste, THIS IS A MUST!! I am betting that your heatsink is not making a solid connection to the mount, which will make your cpu temp go through the roof. You can buy this wonderful stuff at any radio shack. Just ask them for HEATSINK GREASE. They all have it.

It lowered my p2 400 down 10 degs cel when I applied it. Just a poor heatsink connection.

I would try to order some thermal grease from someplace like http://ocz.safeshopper.com and not from Radio Shack. The stuff you order will be much better for about the same price.

A new HSF will be pretty cheap too, especially for the heat decrease. Under full load, on a hot day, with my case closed and my Golden Orb [$15-20, and it comes with thermal grease applied] on, I top out at 40C.

-bZj