Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chipmunk

GeForce's conflict with Win2k & AMD

When I converted from Win 98 to Win 2k, I experienced a major problem when running direct3d or opengl games or applications. For example, when I run 3d Mark 2000, sometimes half way through the testing, a blue screen of death will appear, with an error message:

***STOP:0x0000001E (0xc0000005, 0xBCA6E379, 0x00000000, 0x3f1999B1) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

***Address BCA6E379 base at BCA39000, DateStamp 3a076179 - nv4_disp.dll

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group.

When I run games like Half Life: Counterstrike & Quake 3 Arena, I get the same problem & the same error message about after half an hour of gaming.

I've installed Directx 8 final, Detonator 7.17 drivers, AGP 4-in-1 drivers, the patch posted by Microsoft, & absolutely everything that Geforce FAQ could suggest.

I still get the problem no matter what drivers I use (6.18, 6.31, 6.34, 6.47, 7.17)

& no matter whether I use Directx 7 or Directx 8. The problem never goes away.

I need help here!!! Here's my system specs:

AMD Athlon 700mhz

Creative Gefore Pro (DDR)

Kingston PC100 256 mb ram

Sound Blaster Live! Player

Maxtor Diamond 20.4 7,200 rpm hdd

MSI K7Pro mainboard

& the rest ain't important...

I need help! Please respond!!!

i have an idea next time you want to get your topic answered don't post it in every forum. I read it in apps, then it was in games, and now its in hardware. This is not the way to getting your question answered.

I agree, however, I have a similar problem and would very much apprieciate any help.

The only significant difference to my system, is that I current have an AMD K6-2 450 and a Gigabyte GA-5AX motherboard.

I did read somewhere that the GeForce cards and SoundBlaster Lives conflicted... anyone heard anything about this ?

I also know that if you use Creative's drivers rather then Nvidia's, the exception is no longer caused in the nv4_disp.dll but the kernal32.dll instead.

Any suggestions ?

--Cynan.

[This message has been edited by Cynan (edited 15 November 2000).]

Sorry about repeating this post in several forums, but I really need help!!! I'm very anxious to solve my problem...

Well Chipmunk we are in the same boat. I can however play Quake3 all night long if I wish when using the Asus e-Geforce drivers 6.27. They are fast and dont crash. Direct X gaming is questionable though. Alot of games hard lock the system after 20 minutes or so of play. So I have come to the comclusion that I have plunked down almost $1500 in upgrades to be able to play quake3 rock stable. Kinda sucks. I DO use my machine for other tasks (photoshop, 3ds max etc) and there are NO problems. I can only play Directx games stable with the OLD and SLOWER 5.xx drivers. Here's my setup.

Athlon 750 on a MSI k7pro MB and a 550 on same MB (second pc)

Geforce DDR 140core ocd ???mem I forget Geforce256(second pc)

512MB pc133 ram 256MB pc133cas2 Crucial(second PC)

SBlive Value (both pcs)

2x13.6gigz 7200rpm Striped 13.6gigz 7200rpm(second pc)

Intel pro100 NICs in both machines

A ton of USB ****.

4x Burner, 50x cdroms, 12xDVD

zip drives,

So there you have it. Both machines exhibiting the same behavior........ Only games running stable are Quake3 and Counterstrike. I never had this much trouble with my Intel boxes. Im starting think that my next pc upgrade will be using Intel components. Who is running a ROCK STABLE rig using AMD and Nvidia components?

Thanks!

99% of all Win2k hardware problems are SB Live related frown Look to that for your answer

My rig is rock stable . . .

Operating System: Windows 2000 Pro sp1 (running fully PNP w/ ACPI)

Processor: AMD K7 T-Bird 800@900(1.88V,+4degC) w/ 256 Megs PC133

Motherboard: Asus K7a (1004c BIOS) w/ the newest Via 4 in 1, ASUS Promise 100 drivers b25

Hard Drive: Maxtor 1536H2 on the Promise 100

Video: Asus 6600 SGRAM w/ Asus sba bios (AGP Geforce 256,32meg - Nvidia drivers v6.34 - certified)

Sound: SB 128 PCI (1373 chip w/ 5.12.01.4035 WDM drivers - certified)

Modem: USR 56K PCI

Network: NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (PCI 10/100 card)

SCSI: PCI Advansys SCSI Host Adapter

CD Burner: Smart&Friendly 4x SCSI

Printer: Epson Stylus 740 (USB)

Scanner: UMAX Astra 1220U (USB)

Misc: Creative PC-DVD 5X drive, USB Intellimouse Optical w/ intellipoint 3.2 (ver. 3.20.0.484), Gravis Xterminator gamepad with 4.2.0.2 driver

DirectX: 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)

[This message has been edited by JediBaron (edited 18 November 2000).]

i get that same error if i overclock my tnt2u. do u think it could be caused by heat? i always just figured heat would make it freeze right? or do u think it's software related?

unoverclocked i can play quake3 forever, but if i overclock it to 170/205 it gets this error after about 10 minutes or so of looping a demo.

The problem is related to VIA chipsets. VIA's AGP support still to this day sucks ass. I know that my A7V will have problems with certain Geforce2 cards especially Leadtek's version. The Asus version of the Geforce card seem to always run well in any Asus motherboard based system. That's something to considering if your running an A7V or K7V.

Erm... VIA chipsets you say ? My board has an ALI chipset.

To give a bit more info. on my problem, if I use DirectX in Q3, I get nothing but a black screen. A friend on mine gets this too with his TNT2.

I have yet to try removing the SB Live! card to see if that fixes the problem - I will do, and report back my findings.

If anyone has any further suggestions, they'd be most welcome.

--Cynan.