Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

thinking about abandoning my intel

I'm getting a large sum of money(530 bucks to be exact) from a laptop scam I dealt with over the summer

I'm thinking about upgrading my motherboard and CPU...well..more like trading systems.

my PIII 800eb system I have now as my main rig would go into my briefcase PC, and my K6-2 450 system in that PC would be sold to some people I know.

I'm thinking about going for an Abit KT7A-RAID and a 1.2ghz CPU. (the A version has the KT133A)

the problems are:

1: I was screwed over by my last AMD system: an Asus K7V / 750 Athlon classic. Is the VIA/AGP/Nvidia/2000 problem resolved?

2: where can I find a 266mhz FSB Tbird?

------------------

My PC is warm. I think our fire wall is acting up.

[This message has been edited by INFERNO2000 (edited 15 January 2001).]

I've been quite happy with my Athlon 800/ASUS K7V/Geforce 2 GTS setup under Win2k since both Microsoft and AMD fixed the agp problem.

Depends what drivers for the vid card you use I find, but for about three months after I bought the new processor and board, I was close to abandoning Win2k....

Rock solid now, no problems...

Homer

I abandoned the mobo.

I like 2K too much

I use the newest drivers for everything

setup planned:

kt7a-RAID

cheapest duron I can find(until the 266 come out)

Windows 2000

GeForce256DDR

newest drivers available

[This message has been edited by INFERNO2000 (edited 16 January 2001).]

Nothing beats dual in Windows 2000. I'm finishing up my dual 700E and this thing is sweeeeettt!

I know that smile

but I can't afford it....

and for the same price as a new 800eb and a new motherboard, I can get the AMD, and have it be faster

I fully support intel systems...I don't know of any x86 systems more stable in the desktop market.

dual will probably be my next system.

on the other hand.....why not wait for the SMP AMDs to come out?!

it'll be a couple months

smile

decision made

[This message has been edited by INFERNO2000 (edited 16 January 2001).]

Stable AMD SMP systems? I'm waiting next christmas. Then it'll be either Dual P4 2g+ or Dual Tbird+.

[This message has been edited by DosFreak (edited 16 January 2001).]

inferno for 550 u can get a dual PIII gigahertz system, thats only 20 bucks more then your afore mentioned 530.

Im running dual 700e's which I bought from pcnut.com at 1 gigahertz or clsoe enough at least smile!! all for 550. they gaurantee them at 933 but with somewhat decent cooling u'll get DUAL 1 GIGAHERTZ runnin flawless.

by the way ur 800 is plenty fast why do u want more? I know ur not having any slow downs or anything in ur games, go get a huge 22 inch monitor or something, now thats an upgrade. Honestly my huge monitor was the best upgrade I ever did.

nope, no slowdowns or anything

I have great running system that doesn't NEED anything new smile

I'm having a hard time really.

The price is REASONABLE for a 1.2 ghz AMD system.

but I really want SMP.

and I want to get away from intel...I love their stability and all....but I just don't see them going anywhere fast. they're just too expensive compared to the AMDs.. 336 for a 1ghz PIII, 175 for a 1ghz AMD.

I'm trying to convince myself to save up for the 760mp chipset motherboards...and go dual Tbirds(sorry, Duron Duron sounds like a certain band. I can't handle that smile and DDR.

right now, my only bottleneck I know of is my Videocard...a GeForce256DDR. And that's by no means an inferior card, either.

I get over 60 fps in all my games....and higher than that and my monitor can't keep up so why should I care?

*sigh*

I wish I didn't have money to burn frown

------------------

Do you have a NEED for SMP? Are you in to program development, database design, graphics design, CAD/CAM work, and the like? The only SMP box that we have at the moment runs email and SMS/SQL (quite well I might add). It should be something to think about (though having one is pretty cool, and great bragging rights :)).

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Im in the same boat as inferno, I should have my Abit KT7A later today from the fedex guy and im getting rid of my tyan 133 and 600EB combo, cant stand this problem I have, and yes its the VIA/AGP/Nvidia/2000 issue, so im going nuts trying to figure out this issue and cant play any games with my G2 GTS, so since I wanted better performance + price im going with AMD, geez im a diehard intel fan, but times change! I need a cheap duron until the 266fsb cpus debut too! :P

here is what my system will look like when done!

1gb T-Bird 266Fsb @ 1.1-1.2mhz

Abit KT7A-R w/ SuperOrb cooler

256mb PC150 cas2

2x IBM 75gxp's 20gb

geforce2 GTS

Acer 10x8x32 cdrw

Pioneer DVD drive

SB Live x-gamer

NIC 10/100 cable

17" VS EA771

and I cant wait any longer :P

------------------

win2kbox.cjb.net

P3600EB,TyanTiger133, PC150cas2(128mb), WD 20gb, sblivex-gamer, geforce2 gts

I think the problem is mostly with the AMD VIA chipsets....I've honestly not heard of VIA probs on PIII systems

------------------

GeForce 2 GTS Pro running on an AOpen AX34 (Via Apollo Pro 133A), 4X and Fast Writes. However, I did have major problems with a GeForce Ultra on the same system when Fast Writes was enabled.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Cheers DosFreak!

vp6 Dual Gigahertz GTS2 AGP 4x with Fastwrites, no problems, and tons of beautiful performance

Well, I know have in my hands my new ABit KT7A-R mobo, no turning back now! all I need now is that damn 266FSB t-bird, besides I needed to try AMD anyways.