Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matthewc

Directx and Windows 2000

Hi all,

I have just installed Windows 2000 Pro 120 day Trial before I consider buying the full version.

Unfortunately any game that requires Directx does not function. My graphics card (Intel740) and Voodoo2(Mighty3D2) both do not appear as Directx under game configuration (such as Imperium Galactica 2 setup), its as if I have no Directx installed. Do I have to install myself?

Any way Driver's (the game) setup program identifies my Voodoo2 cards glide drivers (Voodoo2Beta) but then I have no sound (SBLive - Win2k drivers).

I have also just installed the Service Pack 1 which seems to have affected my sound card, though the Directx wasn't working before this and the SP didn't help.

Can anyone offer me any advise on how to get my system working?

My system as follows:

P2 350

128mb

Intel740 (drivers by win2k)

Mighty 3D 2 (drivers - Voodoo2Beta drivers for win2k, no manufactures drivers for win2k)

SBLive! Value (Latest Win2k drivers)

Creative Labs 6x DVD

Thanks in advance

Matt

There is no D3D in the Voodoo 2 driver/Win2K.

The main problem is your Intel graphics card.

These cards are (how can I say this politely) crap.

You need to replace it with a decent card. Something like Matrox or something with an Nvidia chipset.

The Voodoo card you have is only used for games that support the Glide API. This is very different to D3D.

I've been running Win2k since release and I think the only games I have that don't work are old DOS based games (although some of them do work, just no sound), or really rubbish ones that I don't play anyway.

As a gaming platform, Win2k is absolutely fine.

Check Womble on the Hardware forum on this site.

They give some hacks to have a Voodoo perform Direct 3D.