Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Manos

W2K Startup problem

My Win 2K has a prob. at startup. It always hangs the first time I do a cold startup, and then i have to push the reset button to startup again. And then it works but it is very anoying to do this. It was OK in the beginning but sometime ago when I installed something (I can't remember what) I had to choose "startup with the last known good configuration" and since then I had this prob.

Anyone out there who can lend a hand?

Thx!

By the way, has anyone else experiensed a 100% improvement in internet speed via modem when upgrading from Win 98 to Win 2K?

This is a good OS! cool

-Manos

Is there anything in the Event Log that tells you what is causing the problems?

You can access the Event Log by clicking Start -> Programs -> Administartive Tools -> Event Viewer.

If you can't see the Administrative Tools group, right click the task bar, choose properties. Click the Advanced tab and check the 'Display Administrative Tools' box. Click OK.

The Administrative Tools group will now be available for you.

The first log event of my startup in the event log says:

Source: redbook

Category: None

Event ID: 10

Description:

This drive has not been shown to support digital audio playback.

As I look thru the log, it shows this message at every first cold boot. I set the preferences for my CD-RW (SCSI) to use digital playback, I will reset it and try starting up again. Thx very much for your reply. If you think that there could be another problen then please post again.

I'm grateful for your advise.

-Manos!

It didnt help to remove the digital audio on my CD-RW the prob remains and I'm back at Zero... frown

Don't feel bad, your not alone.

I've had this problem with Win2k since day one. I've tried everything I could possibly think of, without success.

It sometimes takes my cold system 2-3 resets before it will completely boot.

I thought at first it was something to do with my CPU being OC'd, but nope. Tried different vid cards, sound cards, NICs, memory, HDD's, CPU's, and mobo's. I've also been through every comfiguration in Win2k numerous times.

I'll find a solution someday, but not soon enough for me. frown

I hope someone here can offer a simple solution, and make me feel stupid laugh

yeppers....i get this problems also, i wish someone could answer it....my cpu hangs where the logon should be.....just a nice 2k blue background, then i get to reset!!!