Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
clutch

Router suggestions for cable modems

I just got RoadRunner service (with a spiffy 3Com modem that looks like a shark fin) and I would like to know what are some good routers that I could use with it. I know that there are some broadband users out here, but I haven't used cable/xDSL routers before. I was checking out one from Linksys, but wanted to know what you guys have.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I have a Cisco 1720 at work, but I haven't heard from any home users of their products. I will check out their site tho. Tnx.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

We use a FlowPoint router. Has always worked fine for us. Telnet in to change stuff, embedded firewall, $300.

-bZj

Get yourself a Linksys Cable/DSL router!

I used to use ICS from my box into a hub for internal LAN and since I got my Linksys I will never go back!! The first thing you must do when you buy it is download the new firmware (v1.36) and upgrade it (very easy to do). With the new firmware you can't beat it!

Oh and I forgot to mention once you try the full-duplex 100mbit between LAN computers you will SH1T a brick its so fast!! laugh

[This message has been edited by ewaite (edited 06 December 2000).]

Don't you need a computer for that?

:P

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Now I'm totally confused...

Yesterday we got RoadRunner installed, too. We have two computers in the same room running a peer-to-peer network over BNC cable (terminators, no hub).

So, the installers come. I tell them I want cable modem service for both computers. They tell me to disconnect our peer-to-peer network, install an Ethernet NIC (with RJ-45 connection) to my wife's computer (my NIC is a combo), install a hub (hub, not router) upstream from the NICs, and the cable modem upstream from the hub.

So I do, and eveything works hunky-dory on both our computers, including cable modem and our peer-to-peer network which now runs through the hub. But, why did they have me get a hub and not a router like you all are suggesting?

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

[This message has been edited by DeadCats (edited 14 December 2000).]

You may have support for multiple IPs and your modem may be issuing multiple IPs via DHCP (or they are static). The router is used to share the same IP on the Internet with multiple PCs. Usually, you have to pay more for extra IPs, and you may have a cap at 3 available. Thus, the router is used. You would have needed a hub/switch in any case (either built-in to the router or as a separate unit) to support the PCs.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

The cockmaster is right, i have a LRP and it was maybe $100 total, and shes pretty reliable. You could go and spend $$$ on a cisco router for some increased speed, but i think for a home use LRP is the way to go.

I could return the LinkSys Hub and exchange it for a slightly pricier LinkSys Router/Hub? I mean, I hafta return an unopened NIC there, so I'd prolly come out ahead. How about that idea?

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

CrazyKillerMan:

Yeah, I can see what you mean about using LRP. However, I didn't want the spend the money gathering a few more parts to build another machine just to handle routing. Especially since you can get a cable/xDSL router for less than a good hard drive these days.

------------------

Regards,

clutch