Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imtim83

How cool should my duron 800mhz be if i dont overclock it at

i use my retail heatsink/fan for the duron 800mhz processor , and have a little fan that came on my mobo , and the power supply fan and thats it.

The temp gets up to 122 C as its highest temp on the cpu which is in gaming and case temp 118 C tops

is this bad

should i have better cooling or just not worry about it and get my 2nd dimm of 256 mb of ram and ibm HD , etc instead of buying stuff for cooling

thanks

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Are you sure that's not 122 F? 122 C ~= 250 F = fried processor....

Whoa, if that is in C, you wouldnt be running that pc, cuz your Duron would be extra crispy. If its in F, its kinda warm. Get a CoolerMaster at the very least, theyre around $10, and invest in a case fan or two.

Im pretty sure your temp is in F, cuz I dont think that processor would be able to get that hot before it was toast.

BTW, what are you using to measure the temp?

Yeah, I figured it was F. Get a better HSF, at least a coolermaster-$10. And then get at least another fan for your case. If you get some mondo HSF, make sure itll fit over your CPU, some mobos cant have huge HSFs on the cpu because theyve got capacitors or some other obstruction in the way--bad news for you. I seem to remember you getting and Abit KT7A-RAID. You cant fit a Global Win on it, so Im told. But the Duron doesnt put out quite as much heat as the TBird, but do get something else other than the stock fan. Thats a little toasty for your cpu. Im overclocking, and I havent hit above 102 F. Ive also decked out my case with a few fans.

If you do get a few fans in your case, keep the airflow in one direction as much as possible thatll help keep things cool inside your case. You can get a hold of some decent sized fans for $10 or less at Best Buy. Also, having a slot fan will help a lot with cooling. I cant use one of my PCI slots on my board due to some little IRQ-based oversight, so Ive put an adjustable Antec 2-fan blower in that slot.

If youve got 256 megs of ram, Id worry about my heat first, hard drive second, and more memory last.

Good luck wink

------------------

Whaazzzupppppppppp!

Asus A7V

Duron 600@680

384 MB SDRAM PC133@113MHz

Samsung 48x CD-ROM

Toshiba 12x DVD-ROM

Zip CD650 USB 4/4/6

Zip 100 USB

Maxtor 20.4 GB ATA100

Voodoo 4 4500 AGP