Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Moomoo

Win2k + Millenium G200 + Quake 3 Arena

Has anyone had any problems running quake 3 areana with their matrox g200 in win2k? I am using verison 5 off the beta win2k drivers. It loads up fine and finds the openGL driver, but when I get to the menu it always shows the main menu no matter what I click on, and it flickers a lot. I can guess at what I am clicking on, and I eventually was able to start a multiplayer game blindly, and the level loaded up but it was 1 fps. Has anyone had this problem?

Yes I had this problem on my Pentium II 400 at work. The G200 isn't fast enough to handle Q3 well. When I poped in my TNT2 it run very well. I am almost positive these beta driver are not fully optimized for Windows 2000 at this moment. Matrox is GREAT company but they take their time in the OpenGL ICD department. The best company to invest in is Nvidia. I always see new " leaked " drivers here and there and some do help and some just make things worse frown But they do listen to their customers and release decent drivers once a month or if it's a bug fix within a week from discovering the bug. 3dfx is a good company but lack in the OpenGL ICD department and insist on mini GL, which is the bare essentials to run the OpenGL based games. When I made the switch to Nvidia I have never regreated it. Matrox was good back in the days and same with 3dfx. Nvidia really picked up after the TNT2 came out and have heard nothing but positive things. If you have to get a new card make sure it's a TNT2 Ultra or the GeForce line for Quake III.

Actually Quake 3 in windows 98 is extremely fast and never slows down. It has to be because the drivers are beta. I just hope they release their new full drivers when win2k is released

The existing Matrox G200/G400 drivers for W2K are bloody awful. I have a 32Mb AGP G400, and it's slower than my TNT1 - not only in 3D but also in 2D.

The G400 has been out of it's box exactly three times since I got it last September - once when it arrived, and once each time drivers were released...