Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
-WrathChild-

BP6 + Win2k +SMP + Quake3 + TNT/GeForce - Anyone have this c

I'm running a couple of Celeron 400's on an Abit BP6, had a TNT now a GeForce and a SB Live card. I'm trying to enable SMP for use with Quake3 Retail, no luck, just locks up the system. I've tried various Detonator drivers, all seem to do the same thing. I just formatted my PC thinking the SB Live driver update from Creative was causing this to happen, but NOT! Quake3 SMP worked fine under NT4, but once Win2k 2195 was out, I nucked it. I had the same problem with a TNT Viper 550 as I am getting with my new GeForce Guillemot card. Whats the diff with Win2k 2195 to 2195.3 or .5 ? I just need to know if others have this combination working ok, if so HOW!

umm there is no .5 of win2k and that combo should be working fine. My friend has the exact same setup except he's got 366's at 550. We were running the 3.65 drivers and thats it...

I have build 2195 an am running Abit BP6, dual 500's @ 563, a CL GeForce but an Mx300, not an SBLive.

Win2K installed drivers for my MX300 so I didn't touch that area. I simply downloaded and installed the NVidia 3.65 drivers and I can run Quake 3 fast and fine with sound.

I heard that there are all sorts of problems running the SBLive with Liveware 3.0 and SMP so you might want to try running without sound or whatever is installed by the OS as default without using Liveware and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

I reformated my system and left the default Win2k SB Live drivers installed without up[censored] them. I was able to get SMP working for a short time when I left the sound setup in quake3 to low quality, then I restarted quake3 later and it just hung again. Just not sure what is causing this. Anyone know how to disable sound in Quake3 all together? So anyone know how I can update to Win2k 2195.5, I'm just running 2195, do I get a patch for this version or do I need to obtain another full build?

Is there anyone who has got build 2128 to work with Q3A and GeForce.

I have the creative drivers for NT installed but no DirectX7. Ive installed the release DX7 but I still dont have and D3D.

Q3 crashes with a dialog that says 'error' and thats it.

I cant find any beta drivers for Win2K.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You should be able to run Q3 in OpenGL with build 2128. If you download Nvidia's 3.65 drivers, D3D will be an option too.

I have a really similar problem. When I first installed 2000, q3 worked fine, and faster than ever, even though only 1 processor was being used. Now it wont even start right. The game will begin but as soon as it gets to the menu it lags so bad i can barely get out of the game, and if I dont get out fast itll lock up my machine tight. Nor can i play movies succesfully, or run anything that seems to ahve anything to do with directx, including the directx diagnostic tests.

I am running a duel 466 with BP6, sblive, leadtek winfast geforce 256 and 128 megs. No change in drivers work, and neither does reinstalling 2000, it does this with both liveware installed and without it. It has confused the hell out of me, and I hate having to reboot into 98 just to play q3.