Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maldoror

Win2k and some DOS games....

I didn't read the whole forum yet, so excuse me if the question has already been answered...

I still play some old DOS games in a DOS window such as Prince of Persia or Gender War.

These games work fine with Win98. Will I be able to keep on enjoyin those games with Win2k ?

Dont know about those particular games but I can play Doom at the Win2k prompt window. My mouse and sblive work in the game as well.

Do you play with the original game or via Gldoom (or anything of that kind) ?

The good old and original X-Com - Terror from the Deep works almost fine here. It is no sound and it jumps back to the desktop when I click at certain things.

Dune 2 and dune 1 also work, the first one with sound if I use SoundFX 2000 (soundblaster emulator)

Other than that, I don'tknow.

Maldoror:

I play 3DDoom, a Direct 3d port of the game which was released about a week ago. It works with any version of the Doom games (doom1,doom2,ultimate) it simply needs a copy of the .WAD file that the doom games used. Pretty sweet actually, I can run the game at 1280x1024 at excellent frame rates with my Voodoo3 3500. I tried to put up a link to where I got the file but it seems www.3dfiles.com is dead now. If you want a copy of the file (600K) just mail me.

BTW, the original Doom game unpatched or unaccelerated also works great at the Win2k command prompt.

Thanks guys,

I just wanted some feedback about DOS games and Win2k

I'm glad to know I'll be able to play my old games with no major issue...

Thanks Battleship but I don't play Doom for a few years now smile

Beware! If your DOS game uses VESA video modes, Windows 2000 will refuse to run it.

Also, you won't get sound, unless you use a SB16 emulator for Windows 2000. like SOUNDFX 2000.

I am having problems getting Doom2 to run. I upgraded from ME to XP Home. Thr program still runs, but just barely. It all seems to work except that the graphics and sound are really slow. Is there some type of setting that I can change to get it working again? I'm running on a HP 8775C, 933 mhz, 128MB SDRAM. It's old, but it worked fine until I upgraded. All other software runs fine.

Thanks!