Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
STi Sev

DIABLO II Crashing/Slugging Fix Here

I swear, this worked for me soo well!

I am using a 950mhz athlon w/ a leadtek winfast geforce...

anyways, just go to the main diablo folder and go to the 'vidtest' file..

switch from DIRECT3d/(X) to DirectDraw..

Almost same graphics except it NEVER crashes

Two fixes in one night for me.. wahoooo!

Well, sad but true, due to problems with the current drivers avilable for the nvidia cards (according to Blizzard) D2 doesn't seem to like them... can't wait for my brand new Radeon card

I had played through act I with sluggish performance on my GeForce DDR thinking the game just needed patched. as we all know, that didn't help.

luckily, i have a voodoo 3000 PCI running a secondary monitor. i set it as my primary and it's smooth as silk using D3D. geforce and win2k is definitely a bad idea playing D2.

for win2k users unsing only a nvidia card you may want to consider picking up a voodoo pci as a secondary. even is you can't afford a monitor right now the card should be <$100 and i've found it runs a slew of games better than the geforce (even though it has more mem) under this OS.

fwiw - deus ex seems to suffer the same nvidia + win2k plague. voodoo is fine though. don't get me wrong, for Q3 the geforce is the only way to go!

[This message has been edited by Thelonious (edited 22 July 2000).]

I have installed D2 on windows 2000 with nvidia drivers and no problems with it at all

It's also dependent if you have a 64meg card or a 32meg card. Using the same drivers/machine setup moving from a 32 to a 64 meg card causes it to not startup in Direct3d mode whereas in DirectDraw it works just dandy.

I have had Diablo2 running on my PC for ages under Win2K with absolutely no problems at all. I would dare to say it goes like a GOD.

PIII 450

256Mb RAM

ASUS TNT 2 PRO 32Mb running 5.32 Det

I have found that only 128 Mb gave me tons of disk paging, even 192Mb gave me some until a good hunk of the game was cached and then it ran alright (only the occasional disk access). When I ran Diablo2 under DirectDraw (192Mb) all of my paging disappeared.