Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Behlal

NTFS and Gaming

Does it matter to games whether they are run on a FAT32 or NTFS file system? Are there any compatibilty issues or speed issues with NTFS and games?

The main games I play are Asheron's Call and Counter Strike. Does anyone know whether NTFS is better or worse for these?

Thanks,

Matt

It shouldn't make any difference. File System calls are handled by the O/S rather than the application, so everything should continue to work fine.

I have both my drives configured to run NTFS under Win2k, and all my games install and run perfectly.

I don't have Asheron's call, but Half-Life and all the various mods I've tried (not CS though, as I'm not a fan of it) runs flawlessly.

I can't say as I've noticed any performance differences either way (which is probably a good thing), but with 512MB RAM, most of my games don't do a huge amount of disk thrashing anyway wink

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine

Intel 440BX-2 Motherboard

2x256MB PC 100 RAM

Maxtor 92049U6 20.4GB 7200RPM UDMA66

Maxtor 52049U4 20.4GB 7200RPM UDMA66

Matrox Millenium G400 MAX

AOpen 52x IDE CD-ROM

Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI CD-RW

Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer USB

Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro

US Robotics Sportster Flash v90 External modem

Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17

3Com EtherLink XL PCI (3c900B Combo)

Adaptec 2940 Ultra Wide SCSI controller

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Windows 2000 Professional

Bursar yes it dose make a difference on file system but that will depend on the games it self older dos one are well know for this being they try wirte 16bit file system but

windows games shouldn't have this problem.

Hey SHS, could you follow that up with an example? I was under the impression that the OS handled all the I/O calls to the HD (as Bursar stated). If this were the case, then wouldn't 16-bit apps not work on NTFS partitions as well? I have numerous 16-bit legacy apps on my network that run on machines with NTFS partitions.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

here any example

Space Hulk "Electronic Arts" it will run under 16bit fat only but not 32bit nor NTFS

So you see clutch has nothing to do with I/O calls to the HD.

It has do with the way some app write ~temp files.

Network app don't work in the same way as local app dose.

Using NTFS and gaming with no problems. Asherons' call runs great but the sound is crappy compared to Win98 or WinME using a SBLive with the newest Liveware drivers. If you're going to dedicate the drive to one OS then NTFS is the way to go.

That's cool. I actually meant that I had apps running locally and networked that were 16-bit and ran on NTFS (some old crap that carried over from DOS like PLC and phone programming software). But I never saw an app that refused to run due to NTFS.

------------------

Regards,

clutch