Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chillie

windows 2000 boot screen problem!!!

Hi guys. I have this slight problem. I installed Windows 2000 rc1,and it was working ok. But then I deleted and reinstalled. And the second time, it didn't recognize my sound card and Voodoo 2 cards, so I uninstalled it again (how do you unistall properly. ohh sorry, iI forgot to tell you that it dual boot on a win'98 partition) Any ways now when it goes into the boot screen ,where you can select what O/S you wanna boot into, it gives me one win 98 option , and like 4 lines for windows 2000, so my question is how can I get rid off the extra lines on the boot screen. It's awful to see so many lines. This is how my O/S boot screen looks:

windows 98

windows 2000

windows 2000

windows 2000

windows 2000

any one with helpful info. would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advanced.

You Have to Edit The File Boot.ini in the root directory and remove the duplicated entries

To edit it make sure u can see all Hidden and System files, UNCHECK read-only tag, open the file in Notepad and takeout the extra lines.

I had the same problem, it was just:

Windows 98 (It wasn't installed at the time)

Windows 2000 (I just installed it)

I believe that it was because my boot-sector had some old traces of Windows 98 (well.. doh! ofcourse it had). Just do as they tell you at these posts, and your troubles are over.