Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
IdolWild

Sharing Violations A-Go-Go!!!

OK, I am not used to this whole multiuser setup thing that 2000 has going for it, i'm just a former (and very humble) Win9x user... I have everything installed and configured and all my hardware is finally working beautifully - I love the stability of this thing.

I have one gripe though. I log on as administrator (I don't have or even want any other users configured - me and my fiancee will be the only ones that ever access this computer). Whenever I go to delete some files off the desktop that I've just been mucking around with, or try to cleanup the start menu (I like to bring all the shortcuts over from the ALL USERS group to the ADMIN group and organize them all anal like) - if I try to delete a folder or rename a file or whatever, anything I've touched, anything at all, gives me a "Cannot delete/rename/whatever "X": There has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use."

Now, I look the task manager up and down and nothing seems to have any of these files in use - all I wanna do is delete a directory for god's sake - what's the deal?

I know that admin permissions are set to full - I wouldn't think that there would be a problem. Once a logout and relog back on I can delete whatever folder or file I wanted.

Any ideas?

- IdolWild

Hmmm....

This has happened on occasion to me. While logged in as Administrator, there should be no files you can not delete, move etc. However I think the problem lies more with Windows using the files and locking them as such, for me the problem went away after a reboot. Did you try that? I know I know, precious uptime, but hey. Let me know if that worked, if not I'll try and remember what else I did to delete the damn temp folder I created on my desktop to (temporarily, duh) unpack some files.