Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JonL

Uniprocessor vs Multiprocessor?

I've just installed Win2K final (as downloaded from MSDN) and find that the processor type reported by the checking

tool says "Uniprocessor Free". Also, when Windows starts an entry is put into the event log calling it the Uniprocessor Free version. What's this all about? Isn't W2K meant to support two processors? I've instlled it on a dual processor machine - is the second chip wasted...?

Thanks in advance

JonL

I never actually saw that message before, but an easy way to check to see if it is actually using the 2 processors or not, is to run Direct X Diagnostics. C:\Winnt\System32\dxdiag.exe is the default location. For processor it should say something like Intel Celeron (2 CPUs) 600MHz MMX.

If it doesn't have the "2 CPUs" bit in it, then try the following: Go into the device manager, dbbl click on Computer. It should say something like MPS Uniprocessor PC. Double click on that, and go to the Update Driver Wizard. Select View a list of drivers for this device, and show all drivers. Select MPS Multiprocessor PC, and click Next. It should copy a few files, and then want to restart. Restart, and if you do have 2 processors it should start up in dual mode.

Sorry for the briefish instructions, but I'm not near my dual win2k computer at the moment to get exactly what to do...

Brendan

[This message has been edited by bkehoe (edited 05 February 2000).]

Great thanks. The DirectX dialog did say only 1 CPU.

In my device manager under the computer item I have something called "Advanced Configuration & Power Interface (ACPI) PC". So I changed this to say ACPI Multiprocessor PC and it does file copying etc etc and then on reboot just hangs! It won't even go into safe mode.

So then I reinstall (again - from scratch!) and try setting it to MPS Multiprocessor PC this time, and bingo, it works fine... 2 CPUs, the lot, until... I find that it tries to assign my ISDN adapter to IRQ 31 (31? eh - how many IRQs does a PC have) and my network card... wait for it... to IRQ 128 or 44... depending upon its mood. The strange thing is that the network card works fine whilst it's on IRQ 128 or 44 but the ISDN adapter doesn't.

I know that PCs only ave 15 IRQs, so... can someone explain what's going on... please help!

Many thanks

JonL

now i could be wrong but i belive that you get thoughs crazy irq because off irq steering and what typ of daul chip set you have set in your bios i use 1.4 and have no problems allthough i do have some crazy irq being used you culd allways turn plug and play off and straighten out your irqs like that.

OK, touch wood things are going OK now. Two "beta" flash bios upgrades from gigabyte seemed to allow it to run in "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" mode. I still get freaky IRQ numbers (19 now - better than 128) and two devices using the same IRQ, but they're all working fine. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope things stay that way!

Thanks for your help folks,

JonL