Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cputnam

Win2K Upgrade Question (from Win98SE)

There are many of us that have the CD from Win95/98/NT, but want to do a

CLEAN install. i.e. reformat the hard disk and start from scratch.

Can this be done by purchasing the Win2000 Upgrade, making the four boot

disks and then reformatting and going on from there? i.e. Will some place in

the install process, Win2000 look for the qualifying product and swap the

CD's to qualify?

That's how they usually behave, but until you can actually get a copy, there's no way to be completely certain...

Personally, if i were gonna purchase Windows2000, i would go the whole nine yards and get the full version, i made that mistake of buying the Windows 98 upgrade.

get the win2k upgrade version, it worked fine here doing clean install.

upgrades always work, i've been bying upgrade versions since windows 95, and placed in windows 3.1 disk to verify the license.

worked with win98 using my win95 disks.

and win2k pro using win98 cd.

Don't listen to the guys who tell you to get the full version. GET THE UPGRADE VERSION. The ONLY difference between the FULL and the UPGRADE version of Microsoft's OS'S. Is that during the istallation process the OS will ask for a previous Windows installation be it Windows on your HD,CD, and floppy. If you want to blow $319 bucks then go ahead...but if you want to save ALOT of money then buy the upgrade version.

------------------

C:\Dos

C:\Dos\Run

\Run\Dos\Run

Quote:
Originally posted by cputnam:
There are many of us that have the CD from Win95/98/NT, but want to do a
CLEAN install. i.e. reformat the hard disk and start from scratch.

Can this be done by purchasing the Win2000 Upgrade, making the four boot
disks and then reformatting and going on from there? i.e. Will some place in
the install process, Win2000 look for the qualifying product and swap the
CD's to qualify?

This process did work with my friends Windows 98SE upgrade. My friend had 95 and I wanted to test if it will work if we did a format. What happened was it prompted me to pop the 95 CD in and it copied some files then it promped me to return the 98SE upgrade. It was pretty much a clean install without spending $100 smile But Windows 2000 is a totally different story. Until someone posts a message that he has successfully did a clean install with the upgrade there is no way of knowing. I personally would buy the full version and avoid the burden if it didn't work.

There seems to be a misconception that one cannot do a clean install from the upgrade-version of Win2k.

A) You can do a clean install or upgrade the current OS on your HD from the Win2k upgrade.

B) You can do a clean install of upgrade the current OS on your HD from the Win2k full version.

The only 'difference' between Win2k-Upgrade and Win2k-Full is that the upgrades asks you to verify ownership of a previous OS (9x or NT), usually by insterting a CD thereof during installation for verfication purposes.

To upgrade the current OS on your HD from either 'version' of Win2k, simply choose "Upgrade" (or something similar) from the menu during installation.

To do a fresh install of Win2k, simply choose "Format" or "Fresh Install" (or something similar) from the menu during installation. At this point it would be advised to have all essential data back-up--that is to say, not on the partition you are about the format.