Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Win98 Plus! on Win2k?

I have Windows 98 Plus, the supplement to Windows 98. I was never a huge Plus fan, as a matter of fact I only used one of the installable options from the CD. This was the "Organic Art Screensaver". I must admit, this is a very nice set of direct 3d screensavers. I would LOVE to be able to use these screensavers on Windows 2000, however, when I try to install Plus, it recognizes the operating system as something other than Windows 98 and will not install.

Does anybody know how to use the "Organic Art Screensavers" from the Windows 98 Plus CD in Windows 2000?

nope i've tried many things, but it will not install, keeps giving the same error, plus 98 can not run on this version of windows.

The organic art screen saver is not from MS but a 3rd party. Do a web search for "organic art" to find it - or even read the docs that come with it...

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

Well, on the Plus! 98 CD, it the content stored in .CAB files like Win95/98/ME? If so you can use Winzip to open the particular CAB file and extract the screensave and it's data.

Well, I found the "Computer Art Works" Web page. They are the guys who made those screen savers. They are not for download, but only for sale. I don't wanna buy them again! So, I'm gonna do some searching through the CAB files to see if I can find the files. If ANYBODY finds them before me.. or has ANY other ideas.. PLEASE lemme know! Thanx a bunch!

Cheers

--Sandoval

The stuff on the plus cd are only demo versions anyway's

that organic art screensaver, microsoft golf 98 lite (which even the msn gamingzone detected it as the trial version) and the marble games, which i think is availabe to download somewhere, i downloaded them a few years ago before win98 was released, when i heard it was in plus 98.

the only 3rd party program that was full was mcafee virusscan 3.

I would suggest that you install it under W98, if you still have it somewhere, and copy the files for the screensaver (*.scr ..) to your Win2000 partition.

Hope this helps.

yea, place the .scr file in

C:\winnt\system32\

[This message has been edited by EddiE314 (edited 21 February 2000).]

Well, it would be nice to be able to do only that but.........

The screen saver installs all the awesome graphics to your programs directory, and the .scr only points to those files. (At least this is what I think happens). Anyways, I tried what you suggested and it doesnt work. I get some error that talks about the kernel. It seems that it is something that has to actually be installed.

Please keep the ideas coming! I really need to figure this one out!

Ok then..

One of the error messages is:

"Couldn't find and scene definitions in location "." -reinstall?"

If you click "OK" the screen turns black, like a screensaver, but nothing happens.

It seems like it's looking for all the files needed to run the screensaver.

I tried moving the files around to no avail. Anyways, about that error I wrote about earlier, I didnt get it again... so I don't know what's going on with that!

Thanx!

--Sandoval

Right.

So it's looking for either an INI file or registry entry that'll point to the files...

So text scan the INI files, and text scan the registry...

Or download the demo from the author's web-site, and just install it...

You were right Yuppy!

It's a registry entry under Plus! that tells Organic art where to look for the files.

Now the only question is.. how do I take that registry file and move it over to my Windows 2000 registry? (dual boot 98/win2k)

Under RedEdit in Win9x, you should have an option to "Export" keys.

This will create a .REG file.

Double-clicking the .REG file under W2K will import it.

HOWEVER, you will almost certainly have to modify the .REG (text format) file before importing it, in order to make sure the keys end up in the right place.

Once you've created the file, and if you're a registry newbie - ICQ me and we'll sort it out.

Sounds great!

I figured out the export thing (duh).. i knew the answer to my own question.

After I merged it into the Win2k registry, it still didnt work though, so most certainly it will need to be tweaked a little. I'm gonna go give it a look. I would icq you, but you didnt leave your icq number. Please post it or get in touch with me. 11352183. Thanx

Alrighy, for anybody just comming accross this thread.... Yuppie and I have figured out how it's done.

If you have a dual boot 98/2000 system, install Organic Art under Win98.

After you do this, run regedit, do a text search for "organic" and export the entire "Computer Artworks" key.

Reboot into Win2k.

Once rebooted, COPY the

Organic Art (Plus!98).scr from your ?:\Windows\Sytstem dir to your ?:\WINNT\System32 directory.

You will now see the option for Organic Art in your screen savers properties, however, it will not work.

What you need to do now is right click on the registry file that you exported when you were in 98. Go to "edit". Make sure the path of the Organic Art files is correct (you shouldnt have to change anything). Merge this file and you are set to go.

Thanks to Yuppie for helpin me out and thanks to NT Compatible for hosting such a productive message forum.

Cheers

--Sandoval

hehe thats what we are here for is to make everything work even if its not supposed to =)