Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pirinto

How to enable UDMA on NT4 on a K6-x system

Hi

I have NT4 installed on my system (AMD K6-3 400Mhz, 128Mb RAM, SOYO 5EHM mobo (VIA MVP3 chipset) Quantum Fireball EL 7.6Gb has UDMA support)and I wonder if NT4 would benefit from the VIA 4in1 drivers (to enable UDMA33) for the VIA MVP3 chipset. I didnt find anything about NT on the VIA site's FAQ that's why I'm asking this. I'm running a dualboot setup of Win98/NT4.0

On the Win98 setup the 4in1 drivers are installed, the issues it fixes and the increase in performance are very noticeable.

But I'm hesitating about installing the 4in1 (the busmaster drivers) drivers on NT4.0 since there's no documentation about it. I would like to hear your advice about this matter and if any of you had any similar experiences with this.

My question is, should I install the busmaster drivers from the 4in1 package (that enables UDMA)or should I install the dmacheck.exe program from Microsoft that also enables UDMA .

http://support.microsoft.com/download/support/mslfiles/Dmachcki.exe

The reason about why I'm asking you all this is because an article I read about optimizing NT4.

http://www.arstechnica.com/tweak/nt/udma.html

Please help me.

I'd say...

If the 4in1 drivers support NT, so for it...

Otherise, follow the Ars Technica advice...

Either way, back up everything important to you, and make an ERD...

Oh, and this is more properly a hardware question...

[This message has been edited by YuppieScum (edited 04 March 2000).]

Ok thanks

I'll post this on the hardware section. Thanks for replying anyway.

Well it was about the backing up thing (now it's software related ;)).

The thing is that when I backup (I use Powerquest Driveimage) either the NT or the Win98 partition and try to restore it, the whole mbr is wiped out and I can only boot to Win98 and the NTbootloader seems to be gone and I have to reinstall NT4 frown

Are there any free tools that let you backup the mbr?. I know that there's one called disksave.exe on the NT resource kit, but I don't have enough cash to buy that one frown

If you run "RDISK" under NT4, it will create you an "Emergency Recovery Disk" (ERD).

You can boot with this disk to do things like "Repair MBR".

It's always a good idea to have a fresh ERD around - and to keep it fresh after you do anything major to your machine.